2004R Trans Temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I find that chart interesting from the standpoint that nearly all OE setups run the fluid through the radiator, which commonly run 195* thermostats, yet the chart indicates a 35-40% reduction in lifespan at 200*

Reactions: 1 users

Pettrix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 8, 2019
The 195F engine temp is basically for emissions and winter time driving. It serves no real purpose to have the trans see temps of 200F+. Heat kills transmissions.

The factory never cared or took into consideration if the trans will last 100k miles.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The 195F engine temp is basically for emissions and winter time driving. It serves no real purpose to have the trans see temps of 200F+. Heat kills transmissions.

The factory never cared or took into consideration if the trans will last 100k miles.
It may be why transmissions started dying earlier. I have seen quite a few from the mid 70's and up GM cars with toasted transmissions, not with super high miles. All were 195 thermostat, no external cooler, no towing and just died to early. It has made me dislike the TH200, TH350 and even TH2004R. Maybe the heat and no fluid changes? I got 400,000+ Km out of a TH250C, needed only a day of 403 torque to finish it off. It had multiple services which no doubt helped throughout its life. I also heard removal of whale oil from trans fluid affected it around that time in a very negative way. Hard to disagree, heat kills. Amazing since most new motors run around 215 stats now and can still do extended oil changes. Probably helps that everything takes 6 to 10 liters.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
The water on the cooler side of the radiator has already passed through the radiator fins. It is not 195 degrees anymore. Most times, the water is cool enough that the trans cooler is RE-HEATING the water before it enters the engine.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
X2 Run a big auxiliary cooler .

Doug

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My Monte has a big auxiliary cooler with a fan but the thing I added that made the biggest difference for cool trans temps was the now unavailable B & M Fluid Consistency System and with a 4,000+ stall in a street driven car it runs at 180* even stuck in Dream Cruise traffic.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PKDTI0/?tag=gbody-20

Pronto-

Apprentice
Dec 4, 2014
Depends on the mods. High stall needs a big auxillary cooler. I'ld run the lines to the radiator then to an aux cooler and be done either way unless you drive the car in cold weather. In that case add a bypass that doesn't use the aux cooler until the temps are hot enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor