2004R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have a question and concern pertaining to putting a 200-4R in my wagon. The engine is a mild SBC 350, stock convertor, running a Q-jet carb. I'm guessing that the Q-jet won't need any type of TV geometry correction arm, even though my '79 wagon never came with a 200-4R stock. I was planning on using the throttle/ TV bracket from a 200-4R equipped V-8 Oldsmobile. Any feedback as to what TV/ throttle bracket is best on a SBC?
Perhaps the throttle bracket from my original 305/ TH 200 would be more suitable? Although I no longer have that bracket.
I assume a 79 model Qjet? The Olds bracket will work with the mid 70's and up Qjet.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I assume a 79 model Qjet? The Olds bracket will work with the mid 70's and up Qjet.
Thanks man, I kind of figured the Olds throttle bracket would work being that it was also used with a Q-jet. . I forget the exact year of the carb off hand, but it was from a 400 smallblock.

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
i think you will be ok with that setup. but it is like anything else, you will have to just try it, but i can think of no reason it won't work. the 2004R is a good unit and very adaptable to most any GM,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
i think you will be ok with that setup. but it is like anything else, you will have to just try it, but i can think of no reason it won't work. the 2004R is a good unit and very adaptable to most any GM,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Thank you! I also figured using the Olds throttle/ TV bracket, it would theoretically put the TV cable in the same position on either a SBC or Oldsmobile engine. Also being that the bracket bolts directly to the rear studs on the carb.
I like the 200-4R trans. for the fact that it's adaptable to most GM setups. I hope I can get it finished one day soon. It's been years in the making.

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
you are welcome! if i can help in any way just ask,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
you are welcome! if i can help in any way just ask,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Thank you sir, I appreciate it. I may be picking your brain soon enough ...;),,

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Just as a bit of an addendum to 64Nailhead's comment that the TV cable is not used to adjust shift timing or firmness, an incorrectly adjusted cable can result in early or late shifts as well as both hard or soft/soggy shifts. That was the problem that I ran into when I was dialing in the 700 after I had finished swapping it in. The factory cable adjustment instructions worked as described but the sliding sleeve was not coming out to the correct distance from the cable body. What that got me was a 1st/2nd that happened almost immediately and a 2nd/3rd that didn't shfit until i got to 40+ mph and then came in with a bang, literally; whack you right hard in the b*tt. The cure ended up being a manual reset of the sleeve, one tooth a a time, until it was right.

The major point here is that most of what happens inside the R series units depends on the internal oil pressure in the various circuits that control the movement from one gear to another. However, if the cable is not adjusted correctly then it will not trigger the shift even though the internal pressure has reached to correct psi.

Nick

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
yes, the throttle cable controls line pressure, it also works to control upshift and downshift timing and the kickdown. if not set properly to where the unit gets enough line pressure it will burn the transmission up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Seems like trans stuff comes up commonly. Here's link for GM trans basic info:

The pic of the 2004R is one I submitted. The pressure test port is on same side as lock up connector and as another already mentioned, it's just above the shifter connection.
Screenshot_20221016-214605.png

Below is input shaft pics of the TH350. But shows difference between lock up and non lock up. Screenshot_20221016-211216.png Screenshot_20221016-211137.png

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
over the decades as a builder i have converted many early 700 units to hydraulically lock up instead electronically,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor