2006 GMC Sierra - Preservation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
For the last few month's I've been checking out 96-98 K1500's and recently 2004 -2006 GMT800's.
Until last Saturday I had given up the search because the trucks were either rusty or overpriced(for my budget).
Saturday afternoon I checked Kijiji (the Canadian CL)- one owner, low mileage, no accidents, well maintained, "little rust" priced well within my budget 2006 Sierra 4x4. I phone the seller and he said I was the first reply having put the ad up 2 hours earlier. 45 minutes later I arrived looked under, over, around and then a short drive. The outer rockers were bad but the inners were solid. The fender lips were solid as well as the floor.
It's not perfect but is able to be saved at reasonable expense but with a good amount of my work(I love doing this kind of stuff as shown by the last 4 cars I've owned. I paid 1/8ith of the new retail price.
P1130568.JPG
P1130573.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Ive got the sprayer if you want to pick up a gallon of Fluid Film. You dont see too many of that body style that isnt rotted out around here. Looks like a good find

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I'm going to enjoy this thread, just like the one on your Monte, Ed. Congratulations. I think those are great trucks. My brother has an 02 that he bought new. It is still really nice with 170k+ miles on the clock. My dad has an 06. We are fortunate to not have to deal with the rust you guys deal with. Stuff only rusts out down here from prolonged sitting (outside).

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
I love Fluid Film - smells funny for a few days. Thanks for the offer but being an OCD car guy(sorry, person, it's a Canadian thing) I have a small compressor and undercoating gun. I use a combination of Fluid Film, foundation coating, WD40(or paint thinner/lacquer thinner) and auto trans fluid. The foundation coating(or rustproofing tar) thickens the mixture once the WD40 carrier or paint thinner evaporates. My formula is subject to change depending on what I have. I think any thick petroleum product will work. Unmixed Fluid Film needs to be redone yearly. I've studied what is out there and I'm still learning.
I think I'll do a box off to preserve the rear frame section, check the gas tank and renew the fuel pump.
Within the last 40K miles the trans was rebuilt, new alt, brake lines, brakes and front wheel brgs were replaced. Going to pull out the carpet - driver's side floor was wet and the door sill retainer brackets are rusty.
The great thing is that the fender lips are way better than any other comparable truck I've seen - they all had fist sized holes in the right front wheel well liner and the box fender lips were either crusty or not there.
As a temporary fix I'll do slip on rockers, cab corners are solid.
The two biggest rust issues are a small hole, lower left tailgate and small rust patch lower pass side door.
Today's challenge: try to remove hitch insert, unseized spare tire safety latch, hosed off rear frame.
P1130578.JPG
P1130599.JPG
P1130595.JPG
P1130602.JPG
P1130589.JPG

I tried a gel phosphoric acid spray on the rusty spots to slow it's progress before I can attend to it.
Question:1) rust hole corner of tailgate - no access from the inside. I'm thinking of enlarging the hole to reach clean metal and then gluing a metal plate backer from the inside and body filler. I could move the 'Nevada Edition' logo to cover the patch. Not going to paint the whole tailgate.
Question 2) 2"- 3" rust hole lower pass rear door. Clean up the metal and glue a patch panel inside bevel the edges to sit flush with exterior panel, slight body filler and repaint the lower section which is not the main body color.:::just ideas for now.

I'm fortunate the MCSS does not need anything...cough, choke!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
I was the first to contact the seller - seller said within the next 2 hours he received almost 30 calls/texts. One even offered to pay cash sight unseen.

Reactions: 1 user

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
4.3 - 6 cyl stickers will go on fenders.

ssshhhh!

A few decades ago the VW Vr6 powered was a popular stolen car - for engine swaps.
Wonder if the same happens to this GM generation of trucks?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
My Sister had a Passat with that VR6, that motor really moved. I have seen a few vehicles from Ontario, so yeah, that looks great.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Today I removed the fender lip plastic flares. As expected, the dirty side of the road front and rear has a little bubbling at the fencer lips. The driver's side are crusty but nothing on the visible part.
So, Mr or Mrs GM - why do you have rubber plugs in the rear fender lips that could be left open to allow dirt and moisture to escape? It's almost as if you don't want the bodies to last past 10 years?
P1130641.JPG
P1130646.JPG
P1130647.JPG
P1130625.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor