2007 Dodge Ram Random misfire only with new parts????

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHomie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2015
In order for you to understand the entire situation I have to start at the beginning.

I have a dodge ram 2007 that was used as a ranch truck when I bought it. I drove it home and the overhead display said I was getting 17 miles a gallon on the highway on the way home from Dallas to Copperas Cove Texas where I live. (3 hour drive).

I replaced the spark plugs, 4 out of 8 coil boots, air filter, oil change, transmission fluid change, and multiple suspension parts. Also I checked the tire pressure and all the tires had between 22 to 28 psi. (vary low) truck had at the time 82,000 miles by the way. On changing I noticed the plugs and coil boots in the rear of the engine were not tightened. One spark plug was about 5 turns,(which isn't even hand tight) the other was barely hand tight and both boots the bolt were barley on.

Day 1=Drove the truck with the new parts for a day and everything was fine. MPG went to 22 on the highway

Day 2= the engine started misfiring bad. I floored the truck and it would barely go 55 and felt like the engine was firing backwards trying to stall the engine.

Day3= Replaced the remaining 4 coil packs and cam shaft sensor and crankshaft sensor.( check engine light codes said, random cylinder misfire, cylinder 3 misfire, cylinder 4 misfire, cylinder 2 misfire) The problem stopped and the truck drove fine. Mpg is now 16HWY.

Question is what caused the problem and why didnt it go back to the 22MPG I was getting for a day? Im pretty sure driving for the day with a misfire could have fouled out the plugs?

( PS. the truck was totalled in the front suspension passenger side at 16,000 miles and rebuilt) So it drove 66,000 miles bfore I bought it. It got hit by a car and the passenger side wheel and suspension rippied out. I had it checked at a my local body shop with lasers to check the frame. everything was straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor