2008 5.3/4L60 into 85 Caballero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
I'm new to this site, new to LS. I'm just starting this build and putting together the pieces I need. After reading many threads i just get confused. My swap is a stock truck 5.3 iron with L99 heads, pull out with accesory drive, oil pan, intake, 4L60 into a non lowered 85 GMC Caballero. It came with a 305 and 200 metric 3 speed auto. From what i can piece together from all these threads is that it will fit. Even with keeping truck pulleys and ac in stock truck location. I'll change the oil pan if needed. I read that spohn mounts placed the engine far enough forward and didn't have to notch frame for ac compressor clearance. They also give room down there, ditch the clamshells. I will be using stock exhaust manifolds from a car when i can find them. I do not know where this set up will put the 4L60 tailshaft. The yoke from the 200 metric slips in the 4L60 nicely. I don't know what the angle will be. To be determined. Not sure what trans crossmember to use with the spohn engine mounts. Not sure if I will have to shorten driveshaft.
I still have a lot of research to do. Can anyone confirm or deny my beliefs? The LSx write up page seemed out dated and talked about mounts that retained the clamshell. Has anyone used the mounts and crossmember from BRP Muscle Rods?
This car will be a daily driver.
Thanks
PS I won't be drilling extra holes in my block....LMAO

Reactions: 1 user

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Sounds like an interesting build. Just curious, but have you checked out any of the LS swap parts from Hooker and Holley? there is also more info on LS1Tech.com, under the hybrids section.

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
Sounds like an interesting build. Just curious, but have you checked out any of the LS swap parts from Hooker and Holley? there is also more info on LS1Tech.com, under the hybrids section.
Yes I've looked into Hooker/Holley. I haven't surfed LS1Tech yet.
Just getting into this build and not quite finished previous project.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Get the Holley/Hooker kit - BRP is a joke.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
So what about the spohn engine mounts? I read one guy here used it with the same engine/pulleys I'm using but he made his own exhaust because he's running a single turbo. Not sure about the trans crossmember he used. Would I have to rig a crossmember?

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Get the Holley/Hooker kit - BRP is a joke.
Roger that....

Here is a link to a few of the LS1tech G body swap threads. Note that the early posts date back to before availability / release of the Holley / Hooker system. It will give you an idea of the hacking / fab work and resulting fitment issues people had to deal with before other options were available.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/750522-g-body-swap-thread.html

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1733542-new-hooker-g-body-ls-swap-system-preview.html

GPNX

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2016
The Holley kit is the easiest to get everything mounted. It will cost you but you won't have a problem fitting anything. That way you won't have to drill holes in your block. I got the truck oil pan to fit with acceptable drive shaft angle. Driveshaft will have to be shortened. I got time into making everything fit but I am building a cheap car to have fun in.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
my buddy is using the holley/ hooker mounts and headers and is loving the fit and finish.... he had the same stuff i used and now he is upgrading.... btw i have the transdapt 1in set back plates with stock clamshells. i bought his old brp 1 7/8 headers from BRP that i plan on installing soon.

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
Well, this build is over. I live in south Louisiana and got flooded. Engine and transmission is sold. Car is for sale. Thought it was gone today but the guy is on hold.
Have to rebuild house.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Well, this build is over. I live in south Louisiana and got flooded. Engine and transmission is sold. Car is for sale. Thought it was gone today but the guy is on hold.
Have to rebuild house.
Sorry to hear you got flooded. I hope you can get life back to normal as smoothly and quickly as possible. Best wishes.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor