200r4 anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
ok. so I have discovered god hates me or I just cant get a good trans. this is my 3rd 200r4 in this car. my first was built by someone back in the day came with the car and it went out. my second was a junkyard trans (wonder why that went out? haha) my 3rd was professionaly built, and now its going out on me, i did everything the right way, i blew out the lines i got the propper brackets and throttle crorrecter thing for my tv cable and now its slipping 2-3....I am about to blow this car up or shoot myself I am so sick of putting transmissions in this thing... what is going on here?! do i not have this trans built enough for my car or what? so i am wondering does anyone have a nice built 200r4 they are willing to sell me?

how long has the rebuilt trans lasted? maybe you can make them fix their work? JIC, how did you do the TV adjustment?
if it was a proper PERFORMANCE rebuild it should be fine behind that motor. unless you're doing constant hard launches or neutral drops.
also, do you have a trans cooler?
as a quick fix you can try a bottle of Lucas trans additive. i've seen it do very good things.

ERIC87442 said:
...my 3rd was professionaly built, and now its going out on me...

First thing I'd do is call the place that built it.
Do they stand behind their work?
How many miles did you get out of it before it started to slip?

well the thing is my warrenty is up tomorrow. haha. it was built slightly above stock not anything wild thought. i never did any neutral drops haha. i adjusted my TV cable the way they told me after i did the whole let it ratchet thing and it didnt work, they told me to drive it and adjust it that way by moving it little by little each time

megaladon6 said:
how long has the rebuilt trans lasted? maybe you can make them fix their work? JIC, how did you do the TV adjustment?
if it was a proper PERFORMANCE rebuild it should be fine behind that motor. unless you're doing constant hard launches or neutral drops.
also, do you have a trans cooler?
as a quick fix you can try a bottle of Lucas trans additive. i've seen it do very good things.
I just installed a 700r4 in my Monte SS.At times it will not go into 3rd or 4th gear.It's like it go's to neutral.Would that be what you call a neutral drop? Sometimes it will change threw all gears fine.I have it behind a 355 aluminum head hydralic roller motor with a 548 lift cam set up,with a 3000stall .The trans. was suppose to be built strong enough to run a supercharged engine.I'm not running a trans cooler and I'm sure the tv cable is hooked up correct.What does this sound like to you.

I would just give up on the 200R4 and upgrade to a nice 700R4, you could drop the money to buy one already built up, or just pick one up from a junkyard and have it professionally built. When i sent the 200R4 screaming to its death in my monte (ironically at the very same time i also blew the head gaskets when the trans let go) I just said **** it and dropped the 700R4. I even made my own trans mount, and just moved the crossmember. Although i'd recommend buying a new crossmember if you're pushing power.

And make sure you get the 30 spline count 700R4, not the 27.

Both of you guys are running into the same problem, unreliable repair shops. Most shops can't build a 200 right. In stock form a 200 was only built to handle at most 300ftlbs of torque which a 3.8 or a stock 305 would never put out. If you want a 200 that will last you need one from a grand national. Since those are priced out of reach for most of us you will have to save up and order one form Art Carr out in California or from http://www.transmissioncenter.net/200-4r.htm. A stock rebuild will not hold up to an engine making more than 300ftlbs of torque. A good rebuild on a 200r4 will cost you at least $12-1500.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor