200R4 wont shift out of 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

smiths86cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2016
About a month ago I purchased a low mileage (33k) 1986 Cutlass Supreme 307 with 4 speed automatic. This car sat for 10 years and did a basic tune up but no fluid change on the trans as it looked fine. Yesterday I went to the local car show drove fine there but on the return drive home I noticed it would not shift into any upper gears. I havent drove this car no more than 150 miles since the purchase. I dropped the pan and the typical wear and fine particles in the pan were there. I also dropped the governor and checked the springs which were good. the only other thing I havent checked is the TV cable but am waiting on a drain plug kit to be delivered to avoid the mess of trans fluid. Any help would be appreciated .

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
what does the gear look like in the govenor and it'd be nice if you introduced yourself

Last edited:

smiths86cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2016
The tv valve could be stuck. Will it shift manually? Here are some screen shots fir trouble shooting from my atsg manual

Tried to shift manually felt like it was in neutral fluid level was ok..it shifted fine before but this car sat for 10 years filter was dirty though

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
sounds like you need a trans...

83MonteCarloSS

Greasemonkey
Oct 5, 2015
Probably a little late responding. I had the same problem when I first put my 2004r in. It wouldn't shift out of first. The TV adjustment is critical. Make sure it is adjusted for full TV at WOT, no more no less. Once mine was adjusted it shifted fine. Had me scared.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - A Albright

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have had this happen multiple times. If the TV checks out, proper setting and not stuck, pull the pan. If you lose a check ball and spring in the governor, you get no upshifts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor