2019 Challenger Widebooty HellKitty (she's giving me the meatsweats...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I'm curious about the weight and sound differences.

In general terms, as I understand it, high carbon stainless steel typically is about 2.5 times heavier than aluminum. So the math is there - I'll try to weigh both systems for science (but, chances are I won't ;))

Material density is another consideration as it relates to resonant frequency and sound absorption/transmission. Again, my understanding, is that aluminum will absorb more sound (act less like a high frequency tuning fork) than steel... resulting in a softer less tinny tone both through the wall and out the tail pipe.

Grab a coffee and a some LSD:

And here's a little something about noise absorption using perforated materials... which are enhanced with a packing material or the like:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
So, when I was in the field (low voltage residential construction management), as a tech, I had a couple of sayings I used to throw around: "everything works on paper" and "Engineering hands out square wheels. I pound out the corners so it actually rolls." Now, I hand out the square wheels. In the garage, you have the luxury of rounding the corners as you go.

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
So, when I was in the field (low voltage residential construction management), as a tech, I had a couple of sayings I used to throw around: "everything works on paper" and "Engineering hands out square wheels. I pound out the corners so it actually rolls." Now, I hand out the square wheels. In the garage, you have the luxury of rounding the corners as you go.

Anecdotal evidence:

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Tips showed up... at 4.4kg they weigh almost as much as the whole rest of the exhaust.

PXL_20210612_215402246.jpg

Yeah, I am thinking of making a set now. Sigh.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
2 weeks later:

images

YAAAAY WEIGHT SAVINGS!!!!!!

Mean Rob Lowe GIF by Parks and Recreation

If they were half the weight, how were you planning to mate those to the pipe?

Oh, I am still using them. Going to weld a length of 3" pipe to the back and slip them into the mufflers.

cannoli GIF

If I find i don't like them or if the weight bothers me that much - I will just use them on the TBSS because it has dual exhaust and a single tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor