2019 Challenger Widebooty HellKitty (she's giving me the meatsweats...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
GIF by Giffffr

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa

Seen this today. Thought of this thread.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Time for another COVID project. #1 gripe on Hellcats? Dey heavy!

Obviously it is hard to remove weight easily and permanently from these cars. The first step is to not option the crap out of them. The next step is to replace heavy parts with light weight parts. Only one problem - they really don't exist short of mega dollar race pieces.

So what do when you are "poor" and still dissatisfied with the weight? Get creative and do something no one else has (as far as I know) yet.

Build an aluminum exhaust!

And when I say build... I mean build. Most everything exists, but some - lots - of assembly is required. Been sourcing parts from all over - including cooking vendors.

A basic 3" intercooler pipe kit has everything I need for bends and such.

PXL_20210605_010845043.jpg

The mufflers were probably the most interesting problem to solve. Specifically how to make something functional. Like what packing material to use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089J5BNLV/?tag=gbody-20 Or how to build the internal baffling:

PXL_20210602_181042512.jpg

A more perforated set of sheets should be here tomorrow. Amazon let me down.

Aluminum v-bands are a thing. These are going to allow me to drop the back half of the exhaust off and use turn downs at the drags.

PXL_20210605_011114734.jpg

And perhaps the most challenging component is building the active exhaust valves. 3" aluminum butterfly valves aren't really a thing... so I am improvising.

TB2.jpg

PXL_20210602_190647799.jpg

Also, tips.

610nApGxjOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Sorry, they are stainless.

• Winner
  • Love
  • Creative
Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Time for another COVID project. #1 gripe on Hellcats? Dey heavy!

Obviously it is hard to remove weight easily and permanently from these cars. The first step is to not option the crap out of them. The next step is to replace heavy parts with light weight parts. Only one problem - they really don't exist short of mega dollar race pieces.

So what do when you are "poor" and still dissatisfied with the weight? Get creative and do something no one else has (as far as I know) yet.

Build an aluminum exhaust!

And when I say build... I mean build. Most everything exists, but some - lots - of assembly is required. Been sourcing parts from all over - including cooking vendors.

A basic 3" intercooler pipe kit has everything I need for bends and such.

View attachment 176997

The mufflers were probably the most interesting problem to solve. Specifically how to make something functional. Like what packing material to use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089J5BNLV/?tag=gbody-20 Or how to build the internal baffling:

View attachment 176998

A more perforated set of sheets should be here tomorrow. Amazon let me down.

Aluminum v-bands are a thing. These are going to allow me to drop the back half of the exhaust off and use turn downs at the drags.

View attachment 176996

And perhaps the most challenging component is building the active exhaust valves. 3" aluminum butterfly valves aren't really a thing... so I am improvising.

View attachment 176994

View attachment 176995

Also, tips.

View attachment 177001
Sorry, they are stainless.
Aside from having the kids in the car there's always the demon approach... less seats saved what, 90kg or so?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Aside from having the kids in the car there's always the demon approach... less seats saved what, 90kg or so?

Something like that. I do pull the seats when I go to the drags. Here's a comprehensive list:

According to their list the stock exhaust is about 70lbs. Mine should come in around 18lbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
There's an off the shelf aluminum muffler, maybe it was Vibrant that made it?

Discontinued. I checked. However, there are some guys in the States who will make them to order. Also, I want very specific dimensions and characteristics. I will be making four units, and buying them would add up fast. Plus, I get to practice my aluminum welding even more now.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor