2019 Challenger Widebooty HellKitty (she's giving me the meatsweats...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
The Redeyes are Awesome cars. My buddy tried to order a Demon without success but after a 10 month wait, the Redeye that he ordered came in last July.
View attachment 145092

I went with him down to the Monster Mopar event at Summit Motorsport Park in Ohio last summer. He was racing his 8.80 Dodge Daytona bracket car.

The guy pitted across from us had a Demon. He told us that he usually launched at 1200 rpm. Earlier that day he had launched at 1600. He was waiting for a new driveshaft to get couriered in from some shop in Michigan. Broke the rear U joint. They all seem to launch at low rpm.
View attachment 145093

A think this shop out of Toronto sponsored some of the Hellcat class.
View attachment 145094

We heard that the Toronto guy in the black Redeye hadn't run at a track before but it was 10's off the trailer. The fellow with the red Demon told us his slicks moved about 1/2" on the rim every run. My buddy is considering these beadlocks, but they are really pricey.
View attachment 145097

There were a bunch of Demons there and a few Redeyes.
View attachment 145098

My son drove down separately. He rented a Challenger for the weekend to drive down. It was $100 to park in the pits for the weekend or $5 if he entered the Hemifest class. He took the cheaper route but didn't race it.
View attachment 145100
View attachment 145101

My son and I were walking around the end of the track and there was a Charger parked at the side, engine running, and making a lot of rattling. We asked the lady if she needed help. I think the rear U joint broke and the driveshaft was rattling around in the safety loop. She couldn't get it to shut off. A friend had to pull a fuse to kill it. A really fast car. She said that she drives it on the street sometimes.
View attachment 145104

I don't know if the event will run this summer, but if you ever have the chance to attend, there sure are a lot of nice late model Mopars there.

Pete

Pete, that's pretty cool - thanks for sharing. Yeah, these things make ungodly power down low. And that lady is "Linda" her late-husband got that car moving early on in the whole Hellcat movement - she is very talented and very nice from what I've come to understand.

As for the tires rotating on the wheels - that is a very common problem with these cars because of their weight and torque. Knocks the tires way out of balance after every track day. There are a bunch of fixes for it: glues, screws, beadlocks (single beadlock rims are a baaaad idea as it can lead to tire deformation and damage), or in my case I just went with balance beads (hooray for physics) on my drag wheels/tires.

Cheers!

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
At idle or really light load? No, the blower doesn't really make a peep. Not like a Procharger that whirls and sounds like a bad alternator bearing (that disappears with RPM). Tip into it and it starts screaming. Dodge had IHI design it this way. As I've come to understand it IHI installed straight cut gears to generate the desired noise when things tighten/speed up, and uses a dampened drive pulley to take up the slack at low speeds and off throttle moments. So adding a solid pulley (which people are now learning is a really stupid thing to do - I believe I highlighted this a few pages back) could increase the noise at lower speeds.

As for the (probable) Demon. Yup, the big scoop and big open element filter are contributing to the noise heard. The exhaust is probably(?) stock, and if he is driving it around in Track or Drag mode it may have the active exhaust valves opening sooner than in Street mode. You can see the differences in the tunes between a Demon and a HC/Redeye. He could have also installed bypass plates or wired the valves open for more noise - pretty easy to do.

There is actually a difference in the types of mid-muffler/resonators on these cars by year and model. Some have large case-style mids and some have longer bullets. My car came with the bullets, same as a Demon - so it may be louder than say a Charger HC with the case-style. No one has been able to determine the reasoning for the difference.

It's when the car accelerates from a stop so light tip in. It seems quiet from the front of the car but seems more raspy than rumbly behind. I just assumed a resonator delete since it sounded similar to my friends brothers like 12ish RT with a resonator delete from what I remember like 4-5 years ago.

From what you said I assume it's a stock demon that's in "track" mode.

And for random why-nots I dug out my one photo of my f-turd next to his challenger from like 5 years ago. How does the interior space of the challenger compare to the 4th gens? Like I said its been 5 years but I couldn't tell any drastic difference between the interior space on the two platforms.

I still notice all the damn black rockers on these cars, :p and there is a flipping ton of them.

1588699419656.png

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
It's when the car accelerates from a stop so light tip in. It seems quiet from the front of the car but seems more raspy than rumbly behind. I just assumed a resonator delete since it sounded similar to my friends brothers like 12ish RT with a resonator delete from what I remember like 4-5 years ago.

From what you said I assume it's a stock demon that's in "track" mode.

And for random why-nots I dug out my one photo of my f-turd next to his challenger from like 5 years ago. How does the interior space of the challenger compare to the 4th gens? Like I said its been 5 years but I couldn't tell any drastic difference between the interior space on the two platforms.

I still notice all the damn black rockers on these cars, :p and there is a flipping ton of them.

View attachment 145113

Demons and Redeyes have different cams too. Also, the Demon has it's 840hp HO mode and that tweaks some settings. Effect on sound? Who knows.

Wow - that picture really offers some relative scale. Natasha's old Camaro was never cramped for us, and neither is the Challenger. The difference is crash standards and accessories (crumple zones, air bags everywhere (including in the front seats)), and the mass of extras (screens, speakers, amps, etc) which make the car (seem) bloated.

The Challenger is definitely 1.25:1 scale.

The 4th Gen Camaro is still one of my favourite cars. Ironically, when I was cruising last night on some of the same roads I used to take Natasha's Camaro I was comparing it in my head to the HellKitty - it was just as fulfilling just more refined over potholes.

Last edited:

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Thought of you today...

It is definitely different. I thought about doing a Gen III HEMI in the Monte after we did Drag Week. This was before the Holley swap stuff came out which makes it more achievable now.

A stroker 426 would be hilarious fun.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
  • Haha

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Part of me feels dirty just thinking about it but part of me is also thinking, "At least it isn't an LS swap."

• Agree

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Wheel spacers came in, and have the cutest lug nuts; 6 cents for scale. I won't be using those.

IMG_20200514_141831.jpg
IMG_20200514_142646.jpg

Also, this is what your typical Hellcat owner looks like when they run out of talent (before they even drive off the lot) on the Tail of the Dragon.

97647582_10223638948668167_4670240600358912000_n.jpg

Surprisingly he didn't sh*t himself.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor