Palmdale, CA
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
If I want a Lambo, I'll buy a Lambo.
Cool concept but I'd like it better if they don't call it a Corvette. Superfiero maybe?

• Agree

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Hahaha basically it is a superfiero! Maybe GM should've put a different name on it because it seems like that's most people response, "it's not a corvette".

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Hahaha basically it is a superfiero! Maybe GM should've put a different name on it because it seems like that's most people response, "it's not a corvette".
Maybe it will grow on me, but for me, a Corvette has a pushrod V8 in the front. I didn't get too hung up on the C7 not having flip up headlights. I like the look overall of the C7 but it took a little time to grow on me. Mid engine DOHC? I don't know.

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
I have mixed feelings I mean after 50+ years of having the same architecture, what is driving them to pursue this route? It's kinda out-of left field for GM. I'm sure there's a lot unhappy purists out there haha

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
The original 53 Vette was a inline 6 wasn't it? lol. I'm still on the fence whether the current Vette has strayed too much from the classic "oh hey a Corvette cool" styling with the lack of quad tail-lights and the addition of the quarter windows.

The Corvette is basically its own market. Generally/historically speaking the "well-to-do older retired gentleman" type that has money burning a hole in their khakis and has to choose between a Vette, a Goldwing, or a CTS-V. GM would like to think that its a competitor with the Euro supercars but lets face it, it isn't. Maybe they can make it that way, who knows. Maybe they're trying to go after a racing segment they can't get into.... shrug.

I know If I'm ever in the position to drop that much coin on a car (any car) I'm going to learn Italian first.

Reactions: 2 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
When the camo comes off, I predict it will look and run like a Ferrari for 1/3 the price.

They are talking mainstream motors in the article like they are planning to sell 10's of thousands/year of them and not 4,000 over 2 years like the original Ford GT's (or 250/year like the new GT). That means it will be sub $100K, maybe even sub $80K.

I have always said, with each new Corvette model, Chevy finds a way to build them cheaper than the last model. Adjusting for inflation, Chevy can probably build a C7 cheaper than they built a C4. Corvette owners are constantly bitching about their plummeting resale values. What do they expect when Chevy charges more for the newer models that actually cost them less to build?

That bodes well for cheap supercars in the future.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
I hate to be harshing the vibes, but it's gotta change sometime. I'm all for the advancement of America's Sports Car. Besides, if Chevrolet were still building the Corvette for nostalgia then it would look like the Camaro or Challenger. Old men in new suits with a bit of plastic surgery. (Not to say the Challenger doesn't still look cool in my book.) I'd rather not have anything like that holding back the Corvette. Nostalgic styling cues are more than welcome for the sake of heritage, but not if they hold back the advancement of performance. Let's keep swinging for the fences.

Last edited:
  • Agree

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
It's a tough sell for me but I understand why the direction is being taken.

I was tried and true gm most of my life. But ford has been winning the pony war (if you want to call it that) of the past decade. Objectively, $ for $, the camaro struggles to keep up with the horsepower and options you get out of a mustang based on cost and VALUE.

So now we have 500hp-off-the-lot mustangs coming in around lower $30k FULLY LOADED with leather and tons of goodies if you buy at model year ear end with the right dealer, incentives, rebate eligibilty, box box discounts, etc.

So they try to make camaro keep it close, somewhat, although they don't do a very good job of it.

I guess you could bump bragging hp up a bit to distinguish "corvette" but its not in a meaningful way you can use often when driving.

So how do you distinguish the old flagship for gm? C7 I call a c7, not a vette... but that's just me. Too many decades seeing 4 round taillamps to start looking at the equivalent of a impala with exhaust tips. (Yes, they intentionally were trying to incorporate that grille bar and similar lamps as "branding" across models, still a stupid idea.) That redesign was kinda meh for me.

Flashiest way to justify the huge price premium is become more exotic, and move the engine.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The original 53 Vette was a inline 6 wasn't it? lol. I'm still on the fence whether the current Vette has strayed too much from the classic "oh hey a Corvette cool" styling with the lack of quad tail-lights and the addition of the quarter windows.

The Corvette is basically its own market. Generally/historically speaking the "well-to-do older retired gentleman" type that has money burning a hole in their khakis and has to choose between a Vette, a Goldwing, or a CTS-V. GM would like to think that its a competitor with the Euro supercars but lets face it, it isn't. Maybe they can make it that way, who knows. Maybe they're trying to go after a racing segment they can't get into.... shrug.

I know If I'm ever in the position to drop that much coin on a car (any car) I'm going to learn Italian first.

a friend's uncle has bought a new vet every year for over 10 years from the same dealer. When they changed the quad tail lights he canceled his order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor