2020 Hot Rod Power Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin. Anybody prepping already? I registered last week, just have about twenty projects to wrap up on the Cutlass before I head out. Wifey is supposed to ride along for about half of it and a buddy or son for the rest.

Reactions: 2 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I plan to do the Champaign/Davenport/Madison stops. It will be my first time officially on the tour, have only checked out the stops in WI as a spectator in the past.

Not sure which car I’ll take yet, but the leading candidate is my 87’ Monte, subject to change.

Reactions: 3 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
I’ll be doing the Champaign, Davenport and Madison stops. I live about 40 miles from the Allianz energy center so the second half of the tour is a nice loop for me.

I’m helping my brother slam his 78 Malibu together, which as of yesterday is a freshly painted frame and nothing else, but the wife really wants to go too so I’ll be taking the Imp unless she backs out.

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I'll probably go to the kick-off since it's in my backyard. But I can't get away to go on the actual tour. If I get there I'll have my Cougar since that's really one of my "nice" cars. I have a punch list of items to tend to on it before it leaves the shop and it's buried in the corner for winter right now. I've done two Tours back in the 90s: 96 and 98 also in this same car. In the 40+ years I've had it, the Power Tour was some of the most fun I've had with it.

p 6046.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Good Morning Guys; Ah coming my way & Drag Week too. As I live half way between Madison & Byron, the Sweet spot! I've lost track on how many times I've attended Power Tour one or more days. But never done a long haul. This year I'll be in Madison June 13th for the day. Hope to Auto-X the GuTOo. Ya, ya I know it's a heavy slug but it's all I got now days. Remote possibility I would have lodging for a couple the night of the 13th? So keep your eyes peeled for the Silver Holden, Ole' Bob.
Ps: Photos, my drive way, Tail of The Dragon & the last three at Byron the day I put down two Hemi's & a SS Camaro.

Attachments

• IMG_0512.JPG
    IMG_0512.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 240
  • 2775090.jpg
    2775090.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0332.JPG
    IMG_0332.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0340.JPG
    IMG_0340.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 253
  • IMG_0348.JPG
    IMG_0348.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 229

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I am seriously considering taking the wagon for Davenport and Madison.

The 2+2 would be better on the autocross and events they host but from what I remember at the 1 stop trip I went to at Des Moines a few years ago you sit in traffic a lot and I'd rather not inch along with a stick car.

I'll figure out more in May.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Madison is about 10 minutes from me.

I'll probably go just to check it out.

-Gonz

Reactions: 1 user

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Madison is about 10 minutes from me.

I'll probably go just to check it out.

-Gonz

If you're that close, really should go. I drove to Madison a few years ago when it was there on a Saturday, Racine many years before that and Miller Park was the first time, back in 2005. Just to walk around, like a large car show with some vendors and some nicer than usual cars, if anything.

My LS is ready to cruise and no plans to tear into anything so it should be good in June too. The SS is under the knife with a head upgrade and a few more things I want to do, not sure it will all get done by then. Wagon would make a good power tour vehicle but as fun as it is, rather drive the other two since the 3.8 gets worse mileage and I don't think would be as enjoyable in it's current form for a long drive compared to the others. Maybe in 21' since it would likely start in Madison and be very local. And I have a few things planned for it as well, not sure where I'll be at by May/June with it.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
If you're that close, really should go. I drove to Madison a few years ago when it was there on a Saturday, Racine many years before that and Miller Park was the first time, back in 2005. Just to walk around, like a large car show with some vendors and some nicer than usual cars, if anything.

My LS is ready to cruise and no plans to tear into anything so it should be good in June too. The SS is under the knife with a head upgrade and a few more things I want to do, not sure it will all get done by then. Wagon would make a good power tour vehicle but as fun as it is, rather drive the other two since the 3.8 gets worse mileage and I don't think would be as enjoyable in it's current form for a long drive compared to the others. Maybe in 21' since it would likely start in Madison and be very local. And I have a few things planned for it as well, not sure where I'll be at by May/June with it.

What kind of venue is Davenport and Madison, do you know?

The former car-craft show and the MN state fair grounds and the goodguys show at the Iowa state fair grounds is really good, but the power tour show ground at Iowa speedway last I went kinda sucked and was just in a hot, dusty parking lot without any bathrooms, shade, not much for food, water, ect.

Just want to be prepared when I go.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Madison is a Speedway.. oval track and a drag strip.

As far as Madison, IL itself... that's nowhere I would drive my G-body, much less park it over night, unless there was an Event with Security.

You would be better off staying in Fairview Heights, Collinsville, Glen Carbon, or Edwardsville.

If you see a sign that says "Welcome to East St. Louis" lock em up, put that b*tch in reverse and GTF outa there.

See Attached. (Any locals? Feel free to disagree with me, but I'd doubt you will)

Anywhere between the Mississippi River and the Red Line, isn't a place I take my car unless Im on the highway headed to STL.. which would be odd, because STL isn't much better. I think my car has been in Missouri Twice, Maybe three times... and just passing thru at highway speeds... lol

(The Red Dot is the Venue - I live just off that map in the bottom right area)

-Gonz

Attachments

• Madison.png
    Madison.png
    433.7 KB · Views: 256
  • Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor