2022 Hot Rod Power Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

bs009

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2008
Smashville
So we are two weeks away from Power Tour for this year. We had a pretty good amount of representation last year from the forum and it was awesome to meet the folks I saw last year!

For those who aren't aware of what power tour is:
It's basically a buffet of car related things you can wrapped up in a 5 day road trip across a few state lines. This year there's autocross, drag racing, dyno runs, and probably a burnout contest too. The best part for me in the past has been the hotel burnout parties though :ROFLMAO:

I'll be long hauling this year assuming all goes well with the upgrades I'm working on right now haha! Last minute upgrades are of course a necessary event before Power Tour lol!
I'll be with the same folks from last year so it should be a lot of fun! Be cool to meet some other folks again!

Reactions: 4 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I'm mad at myself for not remembering to get top level package when they went live with sales.

I remain mad at myself for just having too much going on to do it. And I won't go unless I long haul. So, if pattern holds, if I wait a few years maybe I an do it when It comes back again

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I really want to do this, and I was so close this year, but just couldn't quite pull it off. Hopefully next year! Have fun and post pics!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
I'll be there with my kids this year. Anyone going look for a maroon and silver suburban that's lowered. Was going to take the monte carlo but bringing the kids along so probably won't spend a week cramped in that

Reactions: 2 users

bs009

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2008
Smashville
Realized that I hadn't updated you all on how it went.

I long hauled with my brother and a friend of ours this year. Took the Grand Prix again so we had 3 cars that were all pretty wild forced induction 3800's.

O09Q2MS.jpg

Yes the Montana has a supercharged 3800 in it haha!

Gotta love the hotel parking lots! This was the first night in Memphis. Our hotel was about 30 minutes outside of town and we still had a lot of power tour people in the parking lot!
2iXSzY4.jpg

gMBugjT.jpg

This year was the hottest Power Tour I think I've been to so far. Nearly every day the temperature was in the upper 90's and the humidity was pretty bad too. Because of that the venues didn't have a lot of people hanging around. The first venue seemed like it shut down an hour early, right after we finally were registered.

Thankfully we had one day in Pensacola though so pretty much everybody went to the beach at some point from what I heard and could tell
3SFUUpE.jpg

CRSXdaU.jpg

Views like this are what we saw most of the week

yIPsIY7.jpg

I had a lot of issues myself this year though. A lot of other cars were fighting the heat, I heard about a lot of cars overheating from some of the people I talked too and heard lots of stories about vaporlock too. Thankfully my car didn't experience any of that. I did fight an oil leak all week though and self-ejecting serpentine belts too.

I spent the first hotel night trying to fix an oil leak from my oil sender fittings around my pressure sensor and turbo feed lines. Thought it was a loose fitting but it turned out to be a cracked oil filter adapter - not something auto parts stores stock and not something I was able to patch up that night. It would've had to have been welded to fix it and it's cast aluminum so it would've been a nightmare to weld.

z7j1PFZ.jpg

Thankfully we found a few junkyards nearby, one was supposed to have the part we were looking for because it's very specific to a 4th gen f-body with a v6. There was one yard that had the exact car I needed so we set out early the next morning to get the part!
As luck would have it though, the one car that had the right engine and the right part was missing its engine after only being in the yard for 3 weeks. I didn't realize people were actually interested in pulling these motors so that was a surprise and a let down.
h7hcb07.jpg

Thankfully I found a w-body adapter finally that I thought would work, installed it and cobbled together some fittings for the oil feed to the turbo and was able to get back on the road!
Issue resolved!

Or so I thought... By Wednesday I had finally realized the oil my engine was caked in wasn't going away, it was getting worse. Then I lost my first serpentine belt on the morning drive wednesday but thankfully we were able to find a replacement nearby and get the car back on the road. The old belt was a few years old and the A/C bracket was a little suspect due to some other changes I had to make in the car.
By this point I stopped running AC thinking that was the cause of the belt coming off.
At the hotel that night though the new belt came off again, but thankfully the car was stopped so I could just put it back on.

The next day I bought two new belts just in case it were to come off again. Long story short I used all 3 belts I bought on power tour even without running the A/C. It was some pretty Roadkill stuff going on here.
The car never really lost too much oil but I'm pretty sure the oil leak was the cause of the belt coming off. I eventually found out when I got home that the new front main seal I installed was leaking too and caused the oil bath.

I had really hoped to Autocross this year, but figured with the oil leaks it might be best not to oil down the track or push the motor too hard.

All things considered the trip didn't go too badly. It was super hot all week, I was fighting the oil leaks and self-ejecting belts, and my autocross dreams were crushed. The car ran amazingly well though otherwise and I got to meet some pretty cool people this year too so it was a pretty good trip all things considered!

Oh and of course we arrived at the last venue in Atlanta and got our long haul plaques!

vteejSz.jpg

wF7vwfb.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

bs009

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2008
Smashville
Woops forgot to include this!

Clearly the car was working really well aside from those issues I had haha! That Holley rev limiter sounds friggin amazing too!

Reactions: 4 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Your pics aren't coming thru

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Pics work for me!

Glad you had a good time despite the issues. I'm surprised they hit the south up so much in the middle of summer.

I'll go for a day or two next time it's north of the mason Dixon line!

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Saw your car go by once leaving the event at the first day they had Autocross, i was getting my car ready if i remember correctly. Sounds like you had an interesting trip for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor