EL CAMINO 229 v6 to 350 v8 engine swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shyguy38

n00b
Sep 19, 2018
I am the proud owner of a 1981 el Camino that came with a 229 v6 in it and I am gonna our a 350 in as the first project. My question: am I going to run into complications while trying to put the 350 in it or is it gonna be a smooth swap? Also, how long would such a project take? Any information is appreciated. Thanks

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Welcome foremost! Pretty simple swap, ofcourse you may need a bigger rad, different exhaust Manifolds an not 100% but new engine mounts, l would get new ones anyways.

Have you swapped out engines before? Mechanical? Tools such as air tools, crane an so forth?

You should be able to do it easy in a day an still have time for beer after.

Shyguy38

n00b
Sep 19, 2018
Welcome foremost! Pretty simple swap, ofcourse you may need a bigger rad, different exhaust Manifolds an not 100% but new engine mounts, l would get new ones anyways.

Have you swapped out engines before? Mechanical? Tools such as air tools, crane an so forth?

You should be able to do it easy in a day an still have time for beer after.
I’ve never swapped an engine before personally so I’m just researching a ton and hope for the best

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
I’ve never swapped an engine before personally so I’m just researching a ton and hope for the best

Very straight forward,disconnect battery undo exhaust, take bolts out of flywheel/torque converter, undo wires from starter, take starter off, drain oil, undo bolts from back of block that attach transmission housing, put a jacket under transmission oil pan(support for when block is out) undo gas line, drain rad, undo rad hoses an transmission lines, take off power steering pump an Brackets, if has AC undo it all so, now separate 2 piece engine mounts, unhook electric wires marking on each wire where it went to, lift engine up 1 1/2" an wiggle block until its separated from the 2 transmission pins/dowels, then pull engine out, clean up any mess and follow what l wrote in reverse.

By 17 l had already done this twice, an l'm just a Country boy.

Reactions: 1 user

Shyguy38

n00b
Sep 19, 2018
Very straight forward,disconnect battery undo exhaust, take bolts out of flywheel/torque converter, undo wires from starter, take starter off, drain oil, undo bolts from back of block that attach transmission housing, put a jacket under transmission oil pan(support for when block is out) undo gas line, drain rad, undo rad hoses an transmission lines, take off power steering pump an Brackets, if has AC undo it all so, now separate 2 piece engine mounts, unhook electric wires marking on each wire where it went to, lift engine up 1 1/2" an wiggle block until its separated from the 2 transmission pins/dowels, then pull engine out, clean up any mess and follow what l wrote in reverse.

By 17 l had already done this twice, an l'm just a Country boy.
You just made this much less of a tinkering project. Thank you. Truth be told I’ve never done any big job on a vehicle so this will be my instructions list because I haven’t found jack otherwise

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Well all you got to do is ask, lots of guys on here that are away smarter than me.

If you follow what l wrote an use some common sense you'll make it happen. It can be overwhelming but if you break it down into a check list it's just like playing with Lego.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
It's easier, if a little messier to remove the engine and trans as one unit. Just some extra steps, undoing the shift linkage at the trans, removing the transmission cooler lines (line crow foot wrenches help a lot on the transmission side), removing the trans mount nut, and driveshaft. Remove the yoke straps at the axle (car should be up in the air on 4 jack stands), may need a pry bar to get them loose, and don't let it hit the ground and damage the yokes on either end. You can make a cover for the trans so it doesn't puke everywhere with a 20 or 16oz pop bottle and some duck tape or zipties. Cut the top of the bottle off and slide it over the transmission, securing with tape or zipties. Fits like a glove.

For engine mounts, go to your local parts store and ask for some from a g body with a 5.0 305 V8... like an 87 monte carlo SS. Has to be a 305, not a 307. Both are 5.0L engines, but the 307 is an oldsmobile engine and uses different mounts. Has to be a 305, monte carlo SS is the easiest car to choose from. Yes, 305 mounts fit on a 350. If you walk in there telling them you're swapping engines, they'll look at you like you're speaking Japanese. "If it's not in the system we don't have it.". pfft.

Anyway, as said above plenty of knowledge in here, willing to bet 99% of people on this site have done what you're about to at least once.

Reactions: 3 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Fact is since it's your first swap you will have problems that most of us wouldn't consider a problem. I would gather the parts I need and set up for the swap before taking yours apart. Google is your friend-use it. Lots of good info above, I assume your doing away with the CCC system and installing a carb'd 350 - make sure it's compatable. Good time to install a front trans seal - check which trans you have hopefully a 350 - a 250 might not hold your power. Single exhaust, headers, dual exh, trans cross menber - there is a lot of info out there just look. Here is some from the fourm https://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=974

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Make sure to get the correct frame side (rubber/metal) mounts & engine side (metal) mounts for a small block Chevy. Those V6 ones are different & mount in different locations on the frame. You'll need fan shroud & radiator for the Chevy V8. If have/keeping A/C the compessor & brackets will also need to be for a V8, it will be a shorter "axial" type unlike you V6 longer one. Just look up parts as if your Elky did have a 267 4.4L or 305 5.0L.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor