231 Buick V-6 Fuel Pump Replacement. Any issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Hi All, just wondering if there are any cautionary tales in replacing the fuel pump on a Buick 231 V-6. I have the pump and gasket. My father-in-law (a professional mechanic with 40+ years owning and operating his own shop) said on some mechanical low-pressure pumps, the pushrod can fall out when replacing the pump. Is this typically an issue on the Buick 231? Any heads-up for anything to be aware of appreciated. Thanks.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
Pretty sure yours doesn’t have a push rod it has a arm on the pump the arm rides on a eccentric on the camshaft or end of the timing gear

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
No issues im aware of. Old one out new one in.

KGB

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2016
the arm rides on a eccentric on the camshaft or end of the timing gear

X2. Just rotate the engine over till the eccentric is in the right spot, should slip right in.

Reactions: 1 user

Jamieo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2017
Just curious when you changed it, if the arm went under the eccentric and if you had to manually rotate the motor.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I always just stuffed mine right in, no issues. Just take your time not to crossthread when putting the lines on, it's one of the easier replacements you'll do on that engine.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
No pushrod. Arm directly contacts eccentric. You'll feel it. Put goes UNDER the eccentric. Put some oil or moly lube on the arm or something to prevent galling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor