231 carb options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javi702

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2020
Las vegas
So is the 210 dualjet my only option for a carb? If not what are other carbs that will fit on a 231 v6?

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Dualjet is a good carb for a stock engine. Just half of a Qjet

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence, a dueljet is a great carb when it is working correctly. If you are having problems with it and you are not interested is rebuilding it yourself there are some good shops that can do it and that will be cheaper than another carb

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Dual jet.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Dualjet. Why? Small engine, dead rear gears, and it was designed for that particular engine/trans/rear combination. Nothing better than the original stock carb for a stock engine. Spend your money getting it rebuilt and enjoy it another 30 years.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I'll try to answer your question a different way.

To change your dual jet carb requires one of 2 things. An adapter from (whatever) to the 210 dual jet base shape, OR, a new intake.

1) aside from turbocharging, the 231 doesn't make high power unless you fit two of the following three options: are a highly experienced engine builder with machine shop access and $5,000-$10,000 to burn

2) buick efe heaters are recessed into the factory intake. Thats going to screw with induction if you dont run a dualjet.

3) they don't really make adapter plates for other carbs these days on a commercial basis. There's isn't demand.

4) they no longer make aftermarket intakes for the carb 231, so you're limited to two choices: find old aftermarket for a few hundred or get a 252 buick factory intake. Both are overkill for a 231 since it really can't take advantage of it. You'll see decreased fuel mileage, and maybe 10hp if everything is dialed in right by adding intake and carb alone.

I could keep going... but, there isn't a point. Unless you want to swap a ttype/grand national top end on the motor and upgrade your trans/rear, the above apply to you.

If you are eliminating wiring/computers and want to clean up underhood buy a quality rebuilt non-CCC dualjet.

If your car isn't running right because the carb is worn out or screwed up, same answer. Buy whichever dualjet that matches your preference - CCC if running ECM and sensors, non-CCC if you're not.

Either way, if you have factory compression level, everything works properly, and it's dialed in, congrats. You've got 110hp and a fairly bulletproof motor if you maintain it properly.

If you're trying to swap a carb and gain power, dont.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I have a 231 2-bbl as well. I think I'm probably going to put a 200-4R and 3.42 or 3.55 rear end in it. From everything I've read and have been told, that will make the biggest difference in performance without major engine changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor