231 stalling when cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

a.graham52

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2017
85 cutlass 231 v6, no check engine light, all stock.

Started up Monday morning, ran perfect for 2 solid seconds and then shut off like somone hit the key. Resulted in a no start for the remainder of the day. Got home swapped out ICM and enter due to that's what the auto parts store had in stock. Ignition wise everything's been replaced within 20k. Except for the icm which I just did.

Car did it to me this morning except it did restart. When it's running there are absolutely zero indications of an issue.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Probably the choke coil is set too light or getting weak, they do fail. Hot air or electric. It could also be a combination of the choke pull off opening too much as well.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Adjust the choke pulloff (just manually open it with your fingers) to where the choke flap gets pulled open only 1/8" of an inch, get a new choke coil (may need to drill out rivets and put in self tapping screws, careful as they can break off the ears, I'd just tap the holes and use the corresponding screws), and see if it still does it. Make sure the fast idle linkage "snaps" up when you push the pedal down first thing.

a.graham52

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2017
choke seems to work ok, it will stay on high idle for a good 5-10 minutes after initial snap of the throttle. chock also snaps shut when its cold and you apply throttle to set it.

one thing i do know is regularly when i start it, it will idle up, slow down a little and then speed back up. only happens within the first 5 seconds of starting it. co-insides with when it stalled

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
choke seems to work ok, it will stay on high idle for a good 5-10 minutes after initial snap of the throttle. chock also snaps shut when its cold and you apply throttle to set it.

one thing i do know is regularly when i start it, it will idle up, slow down a little and then speed back up. only happens within the first 5 seconds of starting it. co-insides with when it stalled
if it starts then stalls or wavers right after startup that's the pulloff out of adjustment. Usually too lean, aka choke flap open too much. Even 1/8" either way makes a big difference, especially if the carb is 100% in all other areas. mine did that too. Now, in sub zero temps, 2 pumps, click, wrrrrVoom. lights right off.

a.graham52

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2017
Alright guys, I apparently need help adjusting the choke properly. I found the rear vaccume can not working right so I replaced it with a known good unit. However once the engine starts the blade will open probably 3/16 to 1/4" due to the slot the choke blade rod sits in. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make it close more... only open further.

Second question what is the vacuum can on the front for? It has a screw attached to it and looks like when vacuum is applied it pushes a lever down. With no vacuum it just hangs out.

I included a picture with the engine running
20190203_115410.jpg

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
You're saying the car refused to start for the remainder of the whole day after it stalled?

Are you able to feather the throttle to keep it running?

a.graham52

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2017
You're saying the car refused to start for the remainder of the whole day after it stalled?

I tried for 10 minutes before borrowing my roommates truck and going to work.

This Friday it wouldny start for me again. -3 out. Same thing all over. Ran great for maybe 2 seconds and cut out. I had my roommate crank it while I fed it starting fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor