BUICK 250 Inline 6 Into My 78 Skylark

Status
Not open for further replies.

78Skylark

n00b
Apr 2, 2023
SO.....I just dropped a 250 Inline 6 into my 1978 Buick Skylark! DYING to drive her test it out! I know they don't have a whole lot of HP but Torque is what I'm looking for right now at the moment as well as dependability and durability! It's not going to be a daily driver like I was using it for, before I blew the engine up but it would be VERY NICE to know that I COULD if need be, yet also use it as a occasional workhorse! The back end is BEEFED UP to pull my full size car trailer, but that's how I blew the last engine up pulling that fully loaded trailer in the middle of summer at like 100 Degrees out!! LOL....Again, NOT planning on doing this all the time and driving it every day but VERY NICE to know that I could once in awhile! I did A LOT of research and found almost nothing on anyone doing a swap like this! Only thing I ever found on this swap specifically was on this website!

Attachments

• 20220719_122803.jpg
    20220719_122803.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 20220719_122833.jpg
    20220719_122833.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220719_122652.jpg
    20220719_122652.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 76
  • L6 Install 1.JPG
    L6 Install 1.JPG
    395.6 KB · Views: 77
  • L6 Install 2.JPG
    L6 Install 2.JPG
    398.1 KB · Views: 76
  • L6 Install 3.JPG
    L6 Install 3.JPG
    379.4 KB · Views: 74
  • L6 Install 4.JPG
    L6 Install 4.JPG
    395.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0238.JPG
    IMG_0238.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0239.JPG
    IMG_0239.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0219.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0213.JPG
    IMG_0213.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Well, your Xbody isn't a Gbody, so nobody here has likely done this swap. Should certainly be nice and torquey, yet docile. Not sure I'd tow a loaded car trailer with it though. Hope it works out for you.

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I love my inline sixes in my trucks.

Now. Saying that. They really aren't all that torquey compared to the tamest of 350s. Big trucks used them, but, and there IS a but. They relied on transmission and rear end gearing to really do what they did. And even in a half ton, going up steep hills you did lose speed even empty, and, need to downshift.

You're average 250 six banger peaked in the lower 200s lb ft of torque, and, mid 100s hp rating.

I'm all for being a unique as the next guy, but, if you're going to go up hills with that engine I hope you've got some upgraded gears in the rear end of that thing.

As for the towing... well... drivability and all, a heavy trailer behind a light car... well, as DRIVEN said, I'll wish you luck with what you plan on doing. Hope it's not too much weight though.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Likely haven't found any information on the swap because no one does it. Many X bodies left the factory with inline 6's and the only swap going on was to yank the sixer out and toss it in favor of almost any v8 even a 305. As pointed out they aren't really all that torquey unless you put some real gears behind them. I've driven lots of them when they were common daily drivers and they weren't fun they weren't powerful and they certainly weren't cut out for towing anything. With that said good luck with it but don't be surprised if you're severely underwhelmed with the final results.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

78Skylark

n00b
Apr 2, 2023
Well, your Xbody isn't a Gbody, so nobody here has likely done this swap. Should certainly be nice and torquey, yet docile. Not sure I'd tow a loaded car trailer with it though. Hope it works out for you.
OOPS...i guess thats news to me, I've heard it called both G-Body and X-Body, so Still learning I guess? I dont plan on towing the trailer unless my truck brakes down and no other choice, but I would like to drive it once in awhile jus for fun! This is the THIRD engine I've put in it, the first 2 SUPPOSIVELY ran, but they were actually JUNK!! This one runs like a BEAST!! Ha ha, thanks 4 the feedback!

78Skylark

n00b
Apr 2, 2023
Likely haven't found any information on the swap because no one does it. Many X bodies left the factory with inline 6's and the only swap going on was to yank the sixer out and toss it in favor of almost any v8 even a 305. As pointed out they aren't really all that torquey unless you put some real gears behind them. I've driven lots of them when they were common daily drivers and they weren't fun they weren't powerful and they certainly weren't cut out for towing anything. With that said good luck with it but don't be surprised if you're severely underwhelmed with the final results.
Well, first time for everything I guess! Ha ha, I had one in my 72 C-10 and it wasn't fast, but was pretty torquey and couldn't kill it! Drove it over 40 miles one time with no oil on the stick! Ha ha, I thought it was fun! I don't have a whole lot of extra money to work with, and only paid $120 for the engine so I though WHAT THE HECK?? At least I can have some fun driving it around instead of it sitting in my driveway WASTING AWAY collecting dust, bird crap and leaves and mold and stuff!! Thanks 4 the feedback though!

78Skylark

n00b
Apr 2, 2023
I love my inline sixes in my trucks.

Now. Saying that. They really aren't all that torquey compared to the tamest of 350s. Big trucks used them, but, and there IS a but. They relied on transmission and rear end gearing to really do what they did. And even in a half ton, going up steep hills you did lose speed even empty, and, need to downshift.

You're average 250 six banger peaked in the lower 200s lb ft of torque, and, mid 100s hp rating.

I'm all for being a unique as the next guy, but, if you're going to go up hills with that engine I hope you've got some upgraded gears in the rear end of that thing.

As for the towing... well... drivability and all, a heavy trailer behind a light car... well, as DRIVEN said, I'll wish you luck with what you plan on doing. Hope it's not too much weight though.
Well, I bought the engine for $120 and not a whole lot of extra money and this is the THIRD EFFIN engine I've put in there and jus REFUSE to turn into one of those people saying OH, I'm GONNA FINISH IT ONE DAY...LOL, made me SICK seeing it jus SIT and collect bird crap and dust and leaves, and just sit there WASTING AWAY!! I had an old 72 C-10 with the same engine in it, and I thought it was fun, and COULD'NT KILL IT EITHER!! Really don't plan on towing the trailer unless I have no other choice, like if my truck brakes down and HAVE to haul somethin! Thanks 4 the feedback though!

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Now don't get me wrong, straight sixes are GREAT engines for what they are and what their intended purpose was. They are very simple to work on, super reliable and will run damn near forever with only a minimum of maintenance. I've seen friends try to blow them up in the past and fail. They would just keep on humming along like an old singer sewing machine. But as stated before gears is what made them do what they do in trucks. For instance a good friend of mine has a 1970 half ton short bed chevy truck that left the factory with a 250 six, a three on the tree AND 3.73 gears. Those gears are where the majority of the power came from in that truck.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I say well done! You needed an engine, had one, and put it to good use. 1976 and 1978 aren't that far off and IIRC that stovebolt Chevy was around until '78 or so. As mentioned, the key to success is GEARING. Whatever you rear gears are now I would swap them for at least 3:23's, maybe even 3:42's. That rear you can grab from almost any 2nd gen F-body so they are very available. Your rear springs are the same and it would bolt right up. That would make that 6 feel like it grew a couple of cylinders.

Reim

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2022
So cool. My Dad had one in a 72 Nova and a powerglide. Super durable. Straight 6 engines are so durable. The Ford 6, Slant 6 and AMC 4.0 come to mind and many more. They always hit the list of best engines made. Nice choice. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor