26 or 28 spline axles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smblk331

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
What rear ends came with 26 and 28 spline axles? I have a 79 malibu with an open carrier and was wondering what axles it had. Thanks!

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
You should have 26. Don't think 28 came around til 88? Can anybody add to that?

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I don't think any 7.5 came with 28 spline axles in a G-body per se. One can source 28 spline axles from an 8.5 inch GN, and use the 88-up carrier to have the better axles. Secure a 96-ish F-body posi carrier, buy some axles for a GN....there ya' go.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i forget what exactly had what, but the 87 monte ss with posi did have 28 splines. it maybe the 7 5/8 axle that had 28 and the 7 1/2 had 26 splines.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I think its more of a break over in year model, I assume its '88(I didn't pull out any books, I have been wrong before). Look at the performance catalog of your choice for rear end parts, gears, posi's etc. Seems like there was a change in S-truck and Astro vans 7 1/2 7 5/8 listings (maybe for aftermarket axles) on or about '88 seems like that was the debut of GM ABS, 28 splines are found on 8.5's, GM may have went to all 28 splines for ease of production or assembly (same sensors?!?).
Seems like thats when the funky 9 bolt F-body rearends went away too.
Was it '82 or '84 when the lug nuts went to metric?
Hedging a guess, nothing more.

DeboDaddy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2009
Does anyone know off hand what the length of G Body axles are? I'm looking at buying the Moser 26 spline axles and a T/A rearend girdle to strengthen up my 7.5 setup.

If no one knows I guess I'll just pull them out and measure them... :wink:

BrownGP83

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2008
Chamberlain,South Dakota
DeboDaddy said:
Does anyone know off hand what the length of G Body axles are? I'm looking at buying the Moser 26 spline axles and a T/A rearend girdle to strengthen up my 7.5 setup.

If no one knows I guess I'll just pull them out and measure them... :wink:
28 7/16 according to the Jegs mag i had handy

newkid86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 16, 2009
New Jersey
"not sure if this is the correct page to ask this on but i'll just get on w/ it. i was told that my 86 monte carlo does not have a 7.5 but a 7 5/8 rear. i was unsure about this b/c i thought that only late model f-body cars had 7.625 rears. so besides opening it up n' counting the splines how can i tell? what years (if any) did monte carlo's come w/ 28 spline axels?"

i just posted this tonight not knowing this info was floating around... maybe this might help i don't know but on another site this same question has us going... this is the link

http://www.montecarloss.com/community/u ... Post669994

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor