283 heads on a post 87 305

Status
Not open for further replies.

captain-FN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 8, 2010
charlottetown pei canada
hey just wonderin if anyone knows if you can bolt up 283 heads on a newer 305? any one i asked that i know don't know......... i know you can bolt them up to the old style blocks but i really don't know how much they changed them!

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
They will bolt up, but If I remember correctly, It'll make the 305 even more of a dog--even if it bumps up the compression to 10:1. Tiny valves, poor flowing heads. The stock 305 cam will definitely have to be changed or else it'll ping all day long.

I did this to a 350 and it was a dog. Plus, it didn't have some of the holes drilled for accessories other than alternator I beleive.

captain-FN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 8, 2010
charlottetown pei canada
cool i seen a set of cheap head so i figured i would ask........ and since mine would have to come off anyway ( cause some one striped the exhaust manifold bolts ) what size cam/style would you recommend or do you think would work or would i be better off trying to find a set of HO heads

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Don't do it bro. It's a waste of your time and money. Not worth it.

MD13ailey

Master Mechanic
Aug 26, 2009
Columbia city, Oregob
yes they would bolt up and the added compression is good for power but since the valves and the intake and exhaust runners are so small you would loose more than you would gain from the compression. the 305 is a waist of time to modify thought they are really weak on both torque and power. if possible i would step up to a 350 and if not a cmop cams 268h an edlebrock rmp airgap manifold a set of ful length headers and a short rear end gear should help you out.

captain-FN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 8, 2010
charlottetown pei canada
thanks man...... i'm from a place were 305s are dime a dozen lol thats why i thinkin keep the the engine but i am lookin to find a buick or olds 350 (something different for around here)
by the way love the quote man and i'm not responsible for any dead kittens so far lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor