2nd gen F body gas tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I am involved with a 1980 Trans Am and it needs a gas tank. I have a perfect one that I saved because I had coated it in POR-15 and then undercoat before it was even used for a couple of years. I know that the difference between the '74-'78 and '79-'81 is that the filler tube is short on one and longer on the other. But which is which? I can't remember. Worse, I think this '80 has the shorter fill tube tank for some reason. The gas cap seems too far down in the hole. Or is that the right one? Anyone know?

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Anyone have a second gen that they can go stick a ruler in and measure the filler neck?

78chevolds

Greasemonkey
Jun 25, 2013
My Camaro is in the shop, regrettably. I suggest you go to nastyz28.com. There are plenty of members there that have a Firebird/Trans Am. I checked the after market sites such as Classic Industries and they do not provide details regarding measurements. Interesting that the gas tanks are different between Pontiac and Chevrolet. For example the 78 Firebird has a different tank than a 78 Camaro.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor