3.3 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerhungry oxymoron

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2009
Has anyone left the 200ci or 229ci v6 in their car. Have you considered modifying it. I know there really isn't much out there for those engines and they cant come close to any sort of performance. I was just considering my options until I have the time and money to get my new engine built. I would really just like to get my malibu back on the road and it would be fairly easy and cheap to fix my 3.3L and at least be able to drive it.

Crossbreed

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2009
I knew about 3.0 (196) and 3.8 (231), but not familiar with 3.3. Why did GM put so many $#!tty 6 cyl motors in these not small cars? If it didn't come with a turbo attached to it, I think all they're good for is boat anchors.

And take the word of the guy who actually drove a 2003 extended cab full-size Chevy pick up with a 4.3L V6. It was an okay truck... For me to poop on !!!!

powerhungry oxymoron

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2009
The 3.3l 200ci was made in 78-79 and the 3.8l 229ci took its place till the 4.3l came out. They are all chevy v6's based on the chevy small block instead of being buick or pontiac motors like the rest. They were built to be a more fuel efficient option than the others since there was a gas scare in the late 70's. Don't knock the 4.3l its a great small truck motor and has alot of potential look at the typhoon and syclone gmc had. I'm slowly piecing together a turbo 4.3l to replace my 3.3l.

Crossbreed

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2009
I know the 4.3 wasn't bad. I had one in my slammed truck. Wasn't bad. But in a full size extended cab NBS it was a slug. Even with 3 miles on it. It was a slug.

You mention the gas scare back then. I'd like to stop and take a minute to reflect... on the people in the 70's who thought gas was too expensive. Uh-oh.. gas went from .40 cents a gal to .90 cents!!! Good lord!!! That's more then double!!! It's a conspiracy!!!
I just paid $2.85 a gallon today.
What I wouldn't give for a time machine and a 2X4.

powerhungry oxymoron

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2009
If I saw gas less than $2 a gallon I'd stock up. I had to get rid of my Dakota cause it took a whole weeks pay each month. I drive a sentra everyday and I love how efficient it is but the pump still hurts, since it recommends premium.

powerhungry oxymoron

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2009
I know the 3.3l really sucks but i'm really just looking for opinions if its worth doing the little work it would take to replace the head gaskets and rear main seal just to get it running and driving again. The car only has 55k on it. The head gasket let go about 5k after I had the heads done. The rear main just started leaking from age. The engine is real clean and still runs well (for a 3.3 at least). It has been sitting in my garage for almost 4 years. Every time I walk into the garage I just stare at it wishing I could just take it around the block a few times. I really miss the car but I have a reliable daily driver. Should I put it back on the road or just wait till I can finish the turbo 4.3l and put in.

Crossbreed

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2009
4.3L is the same as a 350, just minus 2 cylinders... ie more parts available, if you're an aftermarket part fiend, I'd mess with that before a 3.3. Just my opinion.

powerhungry oxymoron

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2009
That really is my plan in the end. I have 3 4.3L in pieces on my garage floor and the all need machine work. The only reason I was considering fixing the 3.3L was to at least have the car back on the street until I can finish one of the other motors

86 regal

Greasemonkey
Oct 23, 2009
Hanover, NM
i agree with vicregal's first rant! without a turbo these cars need a v8! :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor