3.5 dash speakers that fit with no mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
This isnt really a write up, more of just me sharing a little info.

Ok, over the years Ive read and searched all kinds of threads about people trying to find a definitive answer on what speakers fit in the dash of the SS's without modification and how to change them. Everything from hacked up speaker covers to people removing windshields and so on.

Well today I upgraded my dash speakers (again) and figured I would share what I used and my results.
1987 Monte Carlo SS. I had previously swapped my dash speakers with some factory 3.5s I pulled from a late 90's something at the junkyard so lets just say my set up is/was stock for the sake of sharing this information in this thread.

The speakers I used are Pioneer TS-A878 and they fit without any problem at all. You just have to make sure the terminals on the passsenger speaker are facing inward (toward the mirror)and the drivers side terminals away from the mirror. Or at least that was the only way that worked for me. I really hate both of these places but Walmart and Ebay have them for around 30bucks.
Tools used were my basic stripper/crimper. And the other one was an 8 piece right angle screwdriver set made by Pittsburgh. Picked it up at Harbor Frieght for $2.99 +tax. Basically its a mini rachet set with 5 screw driver tips instead of sockets. This little tool is the key to making this install a breeze. I used it to remove the screws on the grills and it took about 5 minutes total.
Also used my regular socket set to remove stock speakers from the grills.
What I did was I taped some wire to the stock speaker wire when I cut the factoy connections off so I didnt have to worry about them falling in the dash and having to fish it out. Then crimped the new wire on with the new speaker connections. This whole process took me maybe 30 minutes and was well worth it in my opinion. Im sure its been done many different ways, but this way was pretty damn fast and easy.
I really hope this helps somebody who has 30 some year old blown front speakers in a G body Monte and isnt sure if they want to tackle swapping them out. Maybe it wil be easier with the sure fit parts and proven methods both in the same place.
Good luck.

William

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor