Status
Not open for further replies.

Thetransporter2007

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 18, 2021
Hello Gents!
My father and I are working on an 81 Malibu Classic Coupe. We are doing a number of updates / upgrades but one of them is the front 3.5" speakers. I purchased some JBL 6x9's for the back and 3.5" speakers for up front. Based on what we can see as other people have said, we have 2 problems...

• Speakers are too deep to fit into the holes
  • Speaker tweeter portions stick out and hit the grille
We can fix the speaker depth by adding some spacers (AKA washers) to fix the depth of the speakers however the depth is still a problem on the dashboard side as most people have said on the forum here. Based on what I see from in this old forum post that is closed. (shout out to Drkuhar ! ) here: https://gbodyforum.com/threads/what-3-5-dash-speakers-fit-1986-olds-cutlass-supreme.73428/page-2 , He has actually modded his front plates to make them larger to fix the depth issue. I'm thinking... 3D print some plastic fittings that go into these holes and then drape fabric across them or add spacers to the whole plate entirely to make up the height if needed and drape with some speaker fabric. Just wondering what else people have done for this in the past? I have looked through the forums a fair amount, just wondering if anyone else has came out with some alternatives? I understand I could purchase some more shallow speakers however I am a fan of these JBL's. I appreciate any ideas you guys have :)

Attachments

• IMG_8676.jpg
    IMG_8676.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 152
  • IMG_8678.jpg
    IMG_8678.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_8952.jpg
    IMG_8952.jpg
    952.2 KB · Views: 162
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor