3.73 gears no posi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say that in oyur head "muncie M22" it just sounds nasty.

Say "HEMI 4 speed" in your head. Wet your pants yet :lol:

CamaroAdam73 said:
What's the stock gears that came in a 88 Monte SS?
I believe the earlier years were 3.42 and the '87-'88s were 3.73. I'm sure someone will correct me if that's wrong.

gto78 said:
What is your RPM in 3rd gear at 63 mph? Is the converter a real high stall or a standard torque converter?
not sure of rpm's because the tach jumps back and forth but i believe the TC is stock, i pulled the motor and trans out of a early 80's chevy truck

patmckinneyracing said:
I had to be going over 150 to 180 mph.

Sorry Pat but i'm with Blake on this one. My bu seen 170 twice, on the cahssis dyno. No way in hell it'd do it on the street. 2.41 gears at 6000 rpm with about a 26" tall tire. The highest it's ever seen was around 5000rpm in third on the street with those gears. That's going wide open for at least 1 1/2 -2 miles. Might have had a tad more but that was enough. That's in a car that is most likely lighter than yours, and with at least 100hp and 150lb/ft of torque more than you got. Sorry man.

I had traction issues at the track with a 2.56 with a no slip and 245/60R14 tires. If your car puts down any torque, it will be fun on the street and miserable at the track without slicks.

Yeah then i've probably got the 3.73's, limited slip. Because she's still a street car i think im keeping the limited slip, but again we're either getting awhole new rear, or just rebuilding the sh*t out of mine. If i kind find a nice set of 2's gears for the rear then they're going in for the drive down.

this is why there is a GPS on my dash... you cant be accurate by engine rpm/gearing or speedo. It doesn't take into consideration convertor slippage, exact tire height, etc. little things make a big difference at high speeds. i run 3.73's in my truck with a 30.7" tall tire and hit 128mph (fuel cutoff) in third 1-1 gear at 5600rpm with the convertor locked. when it had 3.42 it was around 5350. Take your engine redline, what it safe running at for atleast a few minutes, and gear in to do your planned top speed with your tire height and around 10% slippage. usually keep in out of overdrive during this, 1-1 is much stronger. Im swapping to 4.30's

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor