3.8 blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I was offered a 3.8L v6 (short block). The guy has a block that supposably came out of a GN (no proof though) that he want to swap in. Is there a difference between the GN blocks and the 3.8 that came in my first Regal? I'm just wondering! I'm going to grab the V6 for when my kid turns 17 so he can still afford to drive the car and I wont have to put new tires on it every week. 8)

Cutlassjim

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2006
There is still much debate in the Buick camp but the newest metelurgy findings show the only difference between the NA 3.8 and the turbo 3.8 is the crankshaft, and pistons of course. Rods, block and heads are exactly the same.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I swore up and down to this kid that the blocks are the same but he is bound bent and determined that they aren't! I know guys that have put the 4.1 blocks under there GN thats why I figured there wasn't much difference. This kid bought a monte ('81-"83) and swears that it came with a GN motor. I told him someone must have swapped it in but he swears that it came factory :roll: . anyways he put some work into the car then let it sit in the field for 2 yrs. Not much left of the frame or the lower body panels now. we got the engine running though its a bone stock 3.8 out of another regal he had bought for parts. the GN motor is on a stand in the barn he had it rebuilt then put it in the car and could not get it running right so dumped the regal engine in it. I dont want the GN 3.8 but was interested in the other one because it has never been touched by a machine shop. Any ways thanx for the help.

Cutlassjim

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2006
Is it turbocharged? I can't remeber for sure but I think early monte's (80-83) came with an engine option for a 3.8 4 barrel carbed turbo motor.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I was just going to ask if anyone heard of an '81 Monte being a turbo. I got to see the car tonight, my friend drove it to work. It is an '81 monte with column shift wire wheels and full stainless steel rocker trim. It has a bump in the hood that is in the same spot as a GN but only half as wide. Its on the drivers side of the hoods center line. I almost looks like it bolted on. I didn't look reel close I was preoccupied with the backyard T tops that didnt leak. If it is a factory turbo it would have been a real sleeper in its day. It also has a small turbo emblem with a chevy bowtie on the dash above the glove box but that is the only thing that makes it look like it might be a factory job. Just cant get past the vinyl top, ss rockers, column shift and bench seat WITH a turbo.:shock: :eek: :?

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
The hood bulge on the turbo monte looks like the one on the '81 turbo Trans am how it's just on the one side. I think it's a neat idea, but when the Monte SS came out, the turbo was way past forgotten.

But I was wondering the same. I mean, I have a 3.8 V6 buick motor in my '85 Grand Prix. The 2 barrel one. Like 110 hp. It's slow as sh*t. So basically, can you actually make some power with that motor, or would it just be way more cost effecient to drop in a 350 or something? lol.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
You know they say theres no replacment for displacment :D . I want the 3.8 so I don't have to worry about my kid with 300-550hp (depending what engine I settle on) under his foot. That way he can affordthe gas too. You'll have more fun for less money with a mild sbc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor