3.8 Buick to 350 Oldsmobile swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

houston_t

Greasemonkey
Nov 15, 2016
Metro Detroit
So here is the deal I just recently picked up a 83 cutlass with the Buick 3.8 in it and as much as I love the reliability of the car I just can’t get over the takeoff speed. Anyhow I sold my buddy a rebuilt 455 that I planned to put in my drop 71 cutlass but I sold that car, he’s putting it in his 72 cutlass so I have access to his stock 350 rocket. What would it take to make the 350 work in my car ? To simplify the question and be more specific what would it take acessory drive wise to make it work in my car and retain the ac. I know to make it fit it’s just motor and frame mounts, but what accessories work ? For instance his ac compressor is on the same side as mines (passenger) but he has the longer style compressor can I make this work easily ? My biggest concern is the ac I can figure everything else I think.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would think you could use the complete accessory drive from a 307 that uses the R4 compressor, on my 86' Regal I used a complete Olds 307 AC set up and adapted it to my SBC that I installed so that it is mounted on the passenger side, they do sell replacement hoses but I made my own.

IMG_20210103_174830129.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
I have a 78 olds 350 in my El Camino it has the R4 (The long A/C compressor is an A6) compressor on the pass side and the alternator and P/S pump on the drivers side. Think all 77 up Olds V8s are set up like this.

R4 = Radial 4 cylinder compressor.
A6 = Axial 6 cylinder compressor.

Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
find a 307 parts car. need the frame mounts, motor mounts, starer, as much of the engine harness as you can get, fan shroud, fan, radiator, etc. basically everything from a 307 g body will fit the 350 olds.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

houston_t

Greasemonkey
Nov 15, 2016
Metro Detroit
Thanks for the help guys. I know for almost the same money I could probably ls swap it but I’m trying not to go down that road again lol. I will prob just wind up doing the Holley fuel injection setup on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor