3.8 Buick V6 to 3800 series 2 V6 Swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pose_442

Greasemonkey
Feb 12, 2007
I may may have access to an 82 Regal with a FUBAR Buick V6. An idea I had for an engine swap was using a 3800 series 2 and 4L60-E out of an 96-up F-body. Looking for inexpensive reliability and drivability, and of course, something different.

Has anyone have any insight on motor mounts and if this would be relatively easy swap since the motors are very similar?

Thanks in advance.

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
Just going off the top of my head here, but I have never seen a FWD 3800 swapped in to a G body with RWD. Now I state I'm no expert, but I doubt the block bolt pattern for the FWD 4L60E transaxle will match up to any of the common RWD transmissions used with a G body. Then you have to wonder about the flywheel and matching to a torque convertor. And as far as engine mounts, as they are very different for FWD setup, I'm doubtful you'll find a practical way to get the engine to fit up the G body frame. You would also then have to use electric cooling. If you are a master at fabrication you can probably get all this to work, but let's assume as you are asking that is not the case. Want a much easier, strong, economical V6 swap? Try a 4.3 Chevy out of a pickup or Astro van. This can be done with minimal screwing around, mainly just converting to fuel injection, and will yield an engine with about 180-190 HP, more HP than a stock Rochester carbureted 350 Chevy V8 had in the G body time period.

Boy-Racers are fun for the track and on weekends, but with gas close to or over $3.00 a gallon and no relief in sight, getting decent performance with 16-18 MPG to boot is a nice thing if you like to drive your old G every day.
-Mark-

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
all f-bodies are RWD
it'd be an interesting swap, dunno how everything mounts up, i imagine you'd need a new fuel system for the fuel injection, the wiring harness and ecu, all the sensors etc. dunno how inexpensively you could get the project done.

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
F body being RWD Camaro?? Then that might just work, only fabricating might just be front engine mounts, transmission support member, and possibly driveshaft length. As long as you pull all the electronics and harnesses for the drivetrain, you should be fine, you'd have to do that for the 4.3 swap also. I think the 3800 SII is a better engine than the Chevy 4.3, also more powerful, but has anyone seen one put in to an old G body yet?
-Mark-

maliburacinfreak

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2005
Evansville, IN
if you go that way, is put a blower from a GTP or SSEI bonneville on it! sounds like a cool *ss project!

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
SBCregal said:
all f-bodies are RWD
it'd be an interesting swap, dunno how everything mounts up, i imagine you'd need a new fuel system for the fuel injection, the wiring harness and ecu, all the sensors etc. dunno how inexpensively you could get the project done.

The 3800 and matching 4L60 trans used in the F-body has the FWD narrow bellhousing bolt pattern. I agree that a supercharged 3800 converted to RWD would be a cool project.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
For the electronics, you may wish to look into either the Greddy Emanage or the Megasquirt stand alone engine management systems. Both simplify things a bit and make it easy to do such swaps without having to deal with all of the OBD II architecture of a modern car. Plus, it would eliminate the GM Pass Key system that only allows the original ignition key to be used to start the car. This is integrated into the ECU and makes swaps a real pain without reflashing the ECU's EEPROM. A basic Megasquirt kit is around $200, while the Greddy is a bit more. Megasquirt can't run the coil packs without outside help, but it has been done. MS also makes it a speed density system and eliminates the MAF meter to simplify things a bit. I haven't used either system, but researched them both as a way to run either a Honda D16Z6 powered Austin Mini or a KA24DE/5spd Datsun PL510 I was planning at one time. Oh, and by the way, there is a factory RWD supercharged 3800 V6 application. It was used in a few Holden models in Australia.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
I don't know that the NA 3.8 ever made more power than the 4.3 but maybe. But the intercooled supercharged 3.8 in its best factory trim was like 260HP with real good torque #s. Interesting swap regardless. Hey but you don't need a little FI motor to get 16 to 18 mpg. See my signature. Well at least not on the hwy. :)

nabob_blaster

Apprentice
Jul 22, 2007
O.K. don't throw up 6 years ago my wife totaled out our family car an 89 olds 88 bro ham and I slung the guts out of my 80 model c 10 so a couple of weekends resulted in a 22mpg 205 hp at the wheels fwd 3800 v6 custom transmission adapter and machined fly wheel and 4 days of wiring for oddness give it a whirl for practicality leave it alone I only did it because I had no choice now I can say piss on it bring it to me it'll only cost you beer

Verz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 14, 2006
Wichita KS
Eh kinda bringing this back from the dead but it has been done before and here is the link.

http://hometown.aol.com/powertrip186/index.html

Honestly im not sure if all the cutting to the firewall is worth retaining the supercharger but I do think that taking hte l67 from a gtp, swapping on a 3800 camaro intake and turbocharging it would be a better alternative. Its also something ive been thinking about doing with my 85 monte I just purchased.

Would go as follows
L67 with 3800 camaro intake
Turbonectics T62-1
ZZ Performance Stage 2 or 3 heads
Stattama Stage 2 turbo cam
custom manifolds and downpipe
42.5# injectors
Built 4l60e, custom driveshaft and ford 9" with 3.73s or 3.89s

This same setup has seen countless 11sec passes in several 3500lb fwd cars so imagine if you did it in a rwd platform. I know all this cause I currently have a gtp and thought about turbocharging it. Best part is you can still get 20mpg city/26mpg highway

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor