3.8 Buick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
Not that one. More - than + with that particular car. But I learned a lot, and got a lot out of that. No regrets, either coming or going.
Yeah that makes sense. It sounds like me with my car. Except, I don’t think I could sell mine.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Hey bro, my distributor has some play in it. So when I grab the rotor i can move it clockwise and counterclockwise about an 1/8th inch even either way. Is this ok And will it mess with the timing?
Timing is electronically controlled whatever play it has as long as the whole thing isn't rotating should be fine. That amount of movement is normal for a distributor that old.

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
Timing is electronically controlled whatever play it has as long as the whole thing isn't rotating should be fine. That amount of movement is normal for a distributor that old.
I cannot figure out why I keep getting a intermittent code 42. Every time it flashes the engine stumbles. I’ve replace, cap, rotor, bushing, HEI module, plugs, wire and checked the wiring harness for shorts. Any ideas?

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
I solved most of the problems I’ve been having. There was a bell housing bolt with three ground wires loose. No more intermittent 42 code. There was another missing bell housing bolt and a loose bolt on the fly wheel. I guess when you buy a car for $200 out of a salvage yard this is to be expected. Does your car have those ground wires? It seems like these cars aren’t grounded very good at.

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I solved most of the problems I’ve been having. There was a bell housing bolt with three ground wires loose. No more intermittent 42 code. There was another missing bell housing bolt and a loose bolt on the fly wheel. I guess when you buy a car for $200 out of a salvage yard this is to be expected. Does your car have those ground wires? It seems like these cars aren’t grounded very good at.

The CCC harness has several grounds which very for each engine type. Most normal cars aren't grounded too well. One of the upgrades in police package cars is extra grounding.

Last edited:

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
I guess when you buy a car for $200 out of a salvage yard this is to be expected.
:ROFLMAO:

Good work, you're getting somewhere.

I found my main engine ground bolt just sitting loose on the block, with the battery cable ring hanging on the threads.

There's also supposed to be a large flat braided ground running from the back of the block to the firewall.

Finally, it's worth taking the time to remove all of the battery cables, clean and inspect the cables, terminals and attachment points for signs of corrosion and overloading.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
:ROFLMAO:

Good work, you're getting somewhere.

I found my main engine ground bolt just sitting loose on the block, with the battery cable ring hanging on the threads.

There's also supposed to be a large flat braided ground running from the back of the block to the firewall.

Finally, it's worth taking the time to remove all of the battery cables, clean and inspect the cables, terminals and attachment points for signs of corrosion and overloading.
So what does it mean when I close the choke a little bit and it revs higher and it’s also reading 39-40 on the dwell.

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
So what does it mean when I close the choke a little bit and it revs higher and it’s also reading 39-40 on the dwell.
I meant when I close the butterflies on the air horn. As I slowly close them it will start to rev higher until about a 1/4“ gap and then it will bog dow. Sometimes it stumble off the line unless I feather it. Other than that it runs the best it has ever ran and gas milage has doubled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor