REGAL 3.8 CCC Carb and Distributor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
I replaced all the guts in my distributor. Module, rotor, button and cap. I got a distributor out of a local salvage yard and used a couple of parts off of it because the wiring harness was in better shape. The problem I’m having is that it runs good at idle but when I put it in gear it starts to run rough it sounds like it has a big *ss lumpy cam in it. Also the engine light will flash but only when in gear. I’ve checked the wires of the wiring harness and everything looks good. Plugs and wire are about a year old or 10,000 miles. The only thing I can think of is there is a little bit of play in the rotor side to side. Like a 1/8 inch each way. It also does these little backfires When driving. If I’m driving say 40 mph and let off the gas I get these little pops. Any ideas? Thank you in advance

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Check the module. You can remove it and have it tested.

Next, wobble as much as an 1/8 is way too much.

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
Check the module. You can remove it and have it tested.

Next, wobble as much as an 1/8 is way too much.
How do you test it?

The distributer I got out of the salvage yard doesn’t have any play in it. I could try it but I have never done it before.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
How do you test it?

The distributer I got out of the salvage yard doesn’t have any play in it. I could try it but I have never done it before.
Ok, maybe I read wrong. Thought you mentioned movement of about 1/8 inch.

With the distributor out of engine it should freely spin. The pins that hold weights should be clean not rusty and have nylon bushings on them.

To test module you will have to call local auto parts store(s) and see if they can test. They run it on machine that simulates RPM of engine while it being pulsed electrically and the quality of the end result is measured and calculated. The test should complete with a print out. Pass / Fail, with some other data.

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
Ok, maybe I read wrong. Thought you mentioned movement of about 1/8 inch.

With the distributor out of engine it should freely spin. The pins that hold weights should be clean not rusty and have nylon bushings on them.

To test module you will have to call local auto parts store(s) and see if they can test. They run it on machine that simulates RPM of engine while it being pulsed electrically and the quality of the end result is measured and calculated. The test should complete with a print out. Pass / Fail, with some other data.
The distributor thats still in my car has about an 1/8th inch Play. Meaning I can rotate the rotor back and forth a little. The distributor I got out of the salvage yard when I hold the gear on the bottom has no play in it. Sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Check for trouble codes. Sounds like its not getting fuel under load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor