3.8 exhaust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys.

In my 04 Monte SS, it has the (obviously newer) FI 3.8 3800 engine. The '85 GP that I'm getting tomorrow has the older 3.8 2bbl V6 set-up. The Monte had dual exhaust when we got it becasue all of the SS's did. I then changed the mufflers with 2 Dynomax Super-Turbo's. I am pleased with the outcome of it. The GP just has the single exhaust outlet behind the passenger side rear wheel. Now obviously the Regal GN and Regal T-Type have the 3.8's also. I've heard quite a few amazing sounding V6 turbo regals before also. So what I was wondering is how would a muffler sound on the GP? I wanted to just keep it single muffler/outlet to save alot of money. I would just clamp it on myself too. This will just last me until I can swap the engine out... Any suggestions from other V6 guys? The one thing that I did like about the Super-Turbo's was the sub $50 price-tag...

:wink:

ligoatpar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2005
Southampton, Pa.
3.8 exhaust

I had a '83 Buick Regal 3.8 that I put a dynomax 25" long muffler on after I fabbed a 2.25 single exhaust. The longer muff is quieter. I don't think it will be as loud as a GN, only one outlet. but it'll work.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have a stock GN exhaust on my GP. I'm using a 2.5 in and out free flow cat and made a flange for the rear of the cat to match the GN front pipe. The exhaust sounds real sweet.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
averagewhiteboy said:
That sounds rad man! How much did that cost you?

I got real lucky, the whole system from cat back cost me $50.....some guy was upgrading his GN with a single 3" pipe front to back and I had just called my friend who owns the shop doing the job inquiring about a duel system for my car. I was told the muffler that was used on the GN has no baffles in it becuaswe of the turbo so it almost sounds like there is no muffler but inside the car it's just a nice rumble. I've had quite a few comments on how nice it sounds...:D

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
averagewhiteboy said:
Yeah. That's one hell of a deal! I heard a GN at a show one time and was like "That's a 3.8?" lol. How much would that usually go for?

I don't know how much directly from the dealer but aftermarket at a muffler shop from cat back I got quoted between $850 and $900 and that's with the standard pipe bends....the system I have is alunminised metal and mandrel bent so I imangine the system from GN would be easily over a grand..I was told the system I have is made by hooker for GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor