3.8 questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ter'M'Up

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2006
Hey, any 3.8L fans out there...I have an '86 Monte with a 3.8L buick engine, 2bbl, no a/c, very basic...a little tired, but running well, anyways I was thinking of buying another good block from a wrecker, and starting a performance buildup to drop in. I still want to stick with the 6, as I have build mild street v-8's for friends before, and know this would wake things up, but, you know, I was in love with Monte SS's and GN's growing up, and I have some attraction to having a decent street performance V6.
Question is how many RPM could I expect from stock crank, and caps??, after true balancing with possible upgraded pistons, and possibly rods??
This would affect my cam selection, I was thinking Comp cams K-kit hydralic flat tappet with 218 degrees @ 0.05 duration 110 lobe seperation, and .469 lift (.3026 lobe lift), and an offy intake.
One day I would like to supercharge (centrifugal), and therefore I would run forged pistons, and fairly low compression (around 9:1).
What transmission would you recommend, a 200-4R, or 700-R4??
Any other recommendations would be appreciated.
(I know, this is also coming from the guy who was complaining about finances to replace alternator :oops: )
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor