3.8 to 350 SBO swap/ gauge wiring question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Ok...so I have figured out how to wire up the two dash gauges that were not working, oil pressure and temp. However, I know that there are still some wires unhooked under the hood because the temp light and oil light dont come on when the key is turned on. Can someone who has done this swap, who also has stock rally gauges, show or explain how you wired up the remaining dummy lights for the oil and temp? Thanks a bunch!

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
:bump: anybody?

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
idk if this helps due to my car came with idiot lights.....

IMAG0013.jpg

The plug near the water pumo or block casting is the oil gauge. and the plug above it is the water temp

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Thanks Dragon, but I have gauges, so there's two wires for the temp and two for the oil but the senders for the 350 are single wire parts. I have good gauge hookups....the only issue now is getting the temp light wired. I hooked up an oil switch today for the oil light and that work now, although it looks a bit lame with the plumbing for both the pressure sender and the oil light coming from the single oil pressure hole up front.

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
Are you referring to getting the gauge to illuminate when you turn on the dash lights? Per this wiring diagram it looks you would tap into the gray wire with your postive wire....

InstrumentPanelLighting.jpg

source:http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring_diagrams/InstrumentPanelLighting.jpg

0900c15280055ee6.gif

BUt per dis diagram I would say tap into the white wire ...on the left by the intrument cluster!

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
all the dash back lighting works. What I am talking about is the "TEMP" light that comes on when you turn on the ignition and when the temperature gets too high in the engine. Its separate from the gauge. but thanks for the schematics

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
IMAG0013.jpg

BIll do you still have your idiot light sender?(above thing on the intake? Reason I ask looks like the style of sender that they have on the Speedwaymotors kit has a sender very simlar and it does the same thing that our stock idiot lights did make a light come on when the car gets hot. I listed a link below with instructions per a pdf on how to wire up a warning light. Its for the kit the speedwaymotors sells.motors link.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Water-Temp-Warning-Light-Kits,7806.html

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
You'll have to figure out the details but this how the temp wires go ( at least in 85 ) for the Rally Pac gauges;

The temp sending unit is a 2 wire unit. One wire is dark green which goes to the D5 connection in that big old firewall connector by the master cylinder. Inside the car the wires are now dark green with yellow stripe and split with one end going to the ignition switch and the other to the idiot light.

The other wire off the temp sending unit is green with a white stripe. It goes to the C6 connection in the big firewall connector and inside the car the wire remains the same color and goes to the temp gauge.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
I gotcha DoubleV....but my concern is where to hook up the other wire. I have the temp sender hooked up, but theres no place to hook up the other wire. I installed a temp sender for an '85 6cyl cutlass, but nothing works, light or gauge. But if I use a normal 1970 temp sender, the gauge works. The idiot light wire has about 10.5v w/the key on and when I ground it, the temp light comes on. I may just leave it unhooked, but Id like to have it operating just for added measure.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
bill said:
I gotcha DoubleV....but my concern is where to hook up the other wire. I have the temp sender hooked up, but theres no place to hook up the other wire.
So you're saying your temp sending unit only has a 1 wire hookup? If so, that's your problem. You need a 2 wire temp sending unit that are used for gauges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor