3.8 to chevy 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

illregal82

Master Mechanic
Jul 4, 2006
262
0
0
MINNEAPOLIS
im new to this forum who would of thought just for g bodys i have a 82 regal with a slow 3.8 my buddys got a chevy 350 thats was in 84 prix with shaved heads and a mild cam that was just removed due to the fly wheel going bad replaced with a motor with a bigger cam and bored bigger how do you i get this in my car i heard the motor mounts had to be welded in but i read above they can be bolted in and the gas line is on the other sidesome please help :?:
 
Yes it can be done. It isn't really all that hard. You can do a search over at http://www.montecarloss.com/

Most of the information you can drum up there about engine swaps is usuable on any G-body.

The holes are there for v-8 mounts (only use 3 of the 4), depending on what engine is in there determines what will need to be moved a little bit.

Pretty bolt in, if you collect the parts you need before, it can be done in a weekend(I know because I have done it).
 
Easy swap. Need a different trans since bellhousing bolts r different from the 3.8L Buick to the Chevy V8. Bigger Rad, engine accessories, haircut on the wiring, exhaust mods, and motor mounts.
Motor mounts get bolted to the X-member at the foreward most holes and lowest holes. The front lower corner of the mount hangs off the X-member. The steels bolt to the block and mount goes to frame. With the drivers side fuel line, just run a low pressure elec fuel pump for ease.
Don't forget about the front coil springs being different. U can use the V6 springs for a while, but worth changing.
 
what about the ECM computer in the later models? I want to eventually do this swap to my 86 Grand Prix and am not sure what to do with that damn thing.
 
I put a 350 chevy into an 81 regal that had a 3.8 v6. I got rid of the ECM and all of that wiring. I ran the 350 with a holley 600. If your car still has to pass emission tests in your state, you could have an issue depending your laws. The swap itself is pretty easy. You just need the chevy engine mounts, to change to a trans with the chevy bellhousing and to make sure you have the accessories for the Chevy, because the buick v6 parts won't work.
 
jerrycad472 said:
I put a 350 chevy into an 81 regal that had a 3.8 v6. I got rid of the ECM and all of that wiring. I ran the 350 with a holley 600. If your car still has to pass emission tests in your state, you could have an issue depending your laws. The swap itself is pretty easy. You just need the chevy engine mounts, to change to a trans with the chevy bellhousing and to make sure you have the accessories for the Chevy, because the buick v6 parts won't work.

Emissions aren't that strict here in Oregon I don't think. I managed to pass DEQ w/ true duals (w/ high flow cats), no EGR, Edelbrock carb and headers on my 76 Monte. Had to detune the Edelbrock quite a bit to pass (went 5 times in the same day), but I managed it. As long as I don't hop up the GP too much, I'm sure I'll pass. Only plan to put in the 260-horse Goodwrench 350. She's my daily driver afterall. (wink wink)
 
You should be fine on emissions w/ out the ECM as long as you run Cats and have the Carb tuned properly. That'll make all the difference; Hydrocarbons are what will fail you on the idle test. But The Engine swap it's self will be fairly strait forward. You should upgrade the entire drive train. You'll need to go with a different trans I'd recommend a TH-350 and at least replace your U-Joints. Your running a factory crate motor so I wouldn't worry too much but any more power and you'll destroy your stock rearend. I'd also recommend getting a pulley kit or something for the belts, don't try and cross over V6 stuff with the SBC. It should make one hell of a daily driver when its done! :D
 
Chevyman85 said:
You should be fine on emissions w/ out the ECM as long as you run Cats and have the Carb tuned properly. That'll make all the difference; Hydrocarbons are what will fail you on the idle test. But The Engine swap it's self will be fairly strait forward. You should upgrade the entire drive train. You'll need to go with a different trans I'd recommend a TH-350 and at least replace your U-Joints. Your running a factory crate motor so I wouldn't worry too much but any more power and you'll destroy your stock rearend. I'd also recommend getting a pulley kit or something for the belts, don't try and cross over V6 stuff with the SBC. It should make one hell of a daily driver when its done! :D

Actually, instead of the Turbo 350 I was planning on getting a Bowtie Overdrives 200-4R because I've heard Bowtie Overdrives build real good transmissions. I have a Turbo 350 in my 76 Monte and wish it had an OD gear because of the 3.73's I have. As for the rear end on the GP, you better believe that's gonna get upgraded too. The U-joints are a givin. I should have done that when I did the engine swap and transmission rebuild in the Monte, but I didn't and now they are clunking and squeeking pretty good. A pully kit is also on the wish list too. I want to get one for the Monte someday too. I am really really looking forward to play with this car. So many plans, so little cash. :D
 
A 200-4R is a great transmission! I know what you mean about 3Spd and low gearing. I'm running a TH-350 w/ 3.73:1 same as your Monte it kills me on the freeway. Thats good your beefing up the driveline, and as far as pulleys ACDelco makes a serp. kit for $560 for SBC w/ everything Alternator/PS pump everything thats what I did w/ my car. I can get you a link or post some pics of your intrested. Good luck!
 
Chevyman85 said:
A 200-4R is a great transmission! I know what you mean about 3Spd and low gearing. I'm running a TH-350 w/ 3.73:1 same as your Monte it kills me on the freeway. Thats good your beefing up the driveline, and as far as pulleys ACDelco makes a serp. kit for $560 for SBC w/ everything Alternator/PS pump everything thats what I did w/ my car. I can get you a link or post some pics of your intrested. Good luck!

Thinking about getting the 200-4R for the Monte too, since the Turbo 350 is the same length. I like the Turbo 350 and until something happens to it I won't replace it. Might get a Gear Vendor, but a 200-4R from Bowtie Overdrives is about $800 cheaper than the GV even with shipping costs and the driveshaft wouldn't have to be shortened either.

I know of the GM Performance serpentine belt kit. Its about $700 w/ an A/C compressor and since she's gonna be my daily driver, it would be very nice to have A/C. Especially since the Monte currently doesn't have A/C. I took it out a couple years ago when it stopped blowing cold. If you have any pics of the system in your car, I'd like to take a look.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor