3.8 to SBC oil pan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackCatBuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2016
i bought a 79 Regal roller for $300 and its all starting to come together. Was a 3.8 at some point, im trying to figure out if i need to buy a new oil pan or not for a SBC swap. I have a pan from a 1970 truck i think, its a rear sump and all the swap specific pans ive seen are rear sump. What do you guys know about this?

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
First off, where are the pics of the regal lol! In regards to the oil pan, you need to determine whether the SBC you plan on using is driver or passenger side dipstick. You must have a rear sump so that the pan clears the front crossmember. If memory serves me right, most pre '86 blocks should be driver side dipstick so that pan might work, the sump might hang too low.
You also need to make sure the oil pump used works well with the pan, and the pump pickup is spaced close enough to ensure you have no oil supply issues. Personally, i would recommend getting an oil pump w/ pickup tube and oil pan from the same vehicle if youfind a donor.

Hope this helps man, im sure others will chime in and add on if i missed anything.

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
i bought a 79 Regal roller for $300 and its all starting to come together. Was a 3.8 at some point, im trying to figure out if i need to buy a new oil pan or not for a SBC swap. I have a pan from a 1970 truck i think, its a rear sump and all the swap specific pans ive seen are rear sump. What do you guys know about this?
That should work just fine...mine is a 84 Cutlass with a 3.8 when I first bought it. Swapped in a ZZ4 turn key and the Pan it had was similar to what you have. Any questions let me know. Good luck with your project!

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
There was a thread no too long ago where a member was wondering if the dented oil pan on his SBC could be replaced with a new truck oil pan that came separately with his engine, the truck pan had a much larger sump area but it still had plenty of clearance.
As stated you need to verify you have the right pan for the engine and there are plenty of affordable aftermarket pans either extra capacity or stock replacements and many come in kit form with the correct pick up tube and some with oil pumps.
Also make sure you get a oil pump driveshaft with a steel sleeve instead of the plastic sleeve.(another bad GM idea)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Here are the picsof the mock up with a mid '60's truck pan.
DSCN3063.JPG DSCN3062.JPG DSCN3064.JPG
It won't work with a cross over pipe.

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
Didn't know those long sump pans came on trucks. I thought that was a corvette things?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor