3.8 V6 swap to 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

83reeeegal

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2017
Just picked up my 350 from Tijuana this morning rebuilt and painted.. super juiced to get this on
Tips?

Attachments

• C31BBCA7-F5D9-4666-ABF7-70ADC8425342.jpeg
    C31BBCA7-F5D9-4666-ABF7-70ADC8425342.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 403

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
305 frame pads and mounts, elongate some wires, new transmission, normal stuff. The 3.8 (it's a buick if the dizzy is in the front, 229 chevy if its in the back) Buick has a BOP bellhousing, so the trans won't bolt up. A short shaft chevy Th350 will bolt in just fine though.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
No need to remove the hood. Unbolt the hood shocks and the hood will tilt back on the hinges utility it rests against the windshield. Stick a thick quilt over the windshield and it won't crack. Saves the paint chips and effort of realignment on the backend.

Likewise, spend 25 minutes removing and reinstalling the header panel, no worries about banging or cracking when rolling the hoist, also let's you stand closer easier without as much leaning while doing your wrenching.

What other parts have you already gathered or are trying to decide on? Electric fans vs factory 307 fan shroud and top plate? Running a/c? Single vs dual exhaust? How to handle the crossmember? What trans, 3spd or od?

Reactions: 1 user

83reeeegal

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2017
No need to remove the hood. Unbolt the hood shocks and the hood will tilt back on the hinges utility it rests against the windshield. Stick a thick quilt over the windshield and it won't crack. Saves the paint chips and effort of realignment on the backend.

Likewise, spend 25 minutes removing and reinstalling the header panel, no worries about banging or cracking when rolling the hoist, also let's you stand closer easier without as much leaning while doing your wrenching.

What other parts have you already gathered or are trying to decide on? Electric fans vs factory 307 fan shroud and top plate? Running a/c? Single vs dual exhaust? How to handle the crossmember? What trans, 3spd or od?

so far i've gathered the cross member, motor mounts, headers, also going with that duel exhaust 2.5 in, fuel lines since it currently runs on a mechanical fuel pump there'll have to be a lil conversion, I haven't decided on the transmission yet but i'm looking into the power glide trans.. definitely running ac on it, and an as far as the fan goes I seen a sweet chrome radiator which has the electric fans attached to it and man oh man it looks nice haha, it was on pro tuning.com .. Oh and also that ECUwiring harness! i still need that..and also a differential + drive shaft. Any recommendations though man? This is my first engine swap sooo i'll use any tips that I can get, thanks !

83reeeegal

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2017
305 frame pads and mounts, elongate some wires, new transmission, normal stuff. The 3.8 (it's a buick if the dizzy is in the front, 229 chevy if its in the back) Buick has a BOP bellhousing, so the trans won't bolt up. A short shaft chevy Th350 will bolt in just fine though.
The th350 is the direct bolt on huh, what about the powerglide? i've heard there about the same length so it should basically be the same... however i'm still a not sure, I know my brothers friend has a spare Th350 but most likely would need to be rebuilt. i'll just have to end up gettin a drive shaft

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
The th350 is the direct bolt on huh, what about the powerglide? i've heard there about the same length so it should basically be the same... however i'm still a not sure, I know my brothers friend has a spare Th350 but most likely would need to be rebuilt. i'll just have to end up gettin a drive shaft
Why would you want a weaker trans like the power powerglide (compared to a TH350, both stock) with 1 less gear? And are you running an electric fuel pump/EFI? Or electric pump with a regulator?
As you can see, the PG is slightly shorter than a TH350, if the mount is in the same place it shouldn't be an issue. But, why a PG?

Attachments

• tranny_dimensions.jpg
    tranny_dimensions.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 400

83reeeegal

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2017
Why would you want a weaker trans like the power powerglide (compared to a TH350, both stock) with 1 less gear? And are you running an electric fuel pump/EFI? Or electric pump with a regulator?
As you can see, the PG is slightly shorter than a TH350, if the mount is in the same place it shouldn't be an issue. But, why a PG?
I've read good things about the pg's as far as acceleration response and highway driving ... but i'd figure the th350 would be better as it can hold up much more abuse and is much more of an all around street/highway use type of transmission since my car will be a daily driver.And fuel wise, i'll end up going w the electric pump + regulator. What do u think about the PG's? I need a transmission that can last forever and hold up my daily obstacles like going to work & school basically. haha

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I've read good things about the pg's as far as acceleration response and highway driving ... but i'd figure the th350 would be better as it can hold up much more abuse and is much more of an all around street/highway use type of transmission since my car will be a daily driver.And fuel wise, i'll end up going w the electric pump + regulator. What do u think about the PG's? I need a transmission that can last forever and hold up my daily obstacles like going to work & school basically. haha
That'd be a TH350. They're everywhere, better gear ratios than a PG, and are innately stronger because they are bigger. How much stronger is up for debate, but they are tougher. A mild sbc (under 400hp) will work well with a good condition Th350 with a Trans-Go shift kit installed. That combo will last practically forever. Plus for a daily as you intend to use it, you will want all the extra gears you can.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
A good builder can make a PG bulletproof. Alot of racers still use them. The only down side In my opinion is the 2 gears, get & go. PG's, TH350, TH250, TH200 (3sp) all are the same measurement bellhousing to mount. Watch out for the TurboGlides, iron case PG's, air cooled Chevy II units.

• Agree

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
so far i've gathered the cross member, motor mounts, headers, also going with that duel exhaust 2.5 in, fuel lines since it currently runs on a mechanical fuel pump there'll have to be a lil conversion, I haven't decided on the transmission yet but i'm looking into the power glide trans.. definitely running ac on it, and an as far as the fan goes I seen a sweet chrome radiator which has the electric fans attached to it and man oh man it looks nice haha, it was on pro tuning.com .. Oh and also that ECUwiring harness! i still need that..and also a differential + drive shaft. Any recommendations though man? This is my first engine swap sooo i'll use any tips that I can get, thanks !

I tend to plan and overplan... so this may not be for you.

First off, I like to match my driveline and wheel/tire pkg to fit my purposes.

Different trannys have different drive ratios. Some trannys siphon off more power than others. Are you going to be mainly highways, lots of city?

Here's the reason why. Every engine has a peak zone for torque, and another band for hp. You can use desktop dyno programs or the such to learn what your build should put out before it's even built.

There's calculators online you can mix the trans, the tire size, and a speed to find how many rpm the engine will turn at that mph. If you pick these so your choice of either torque or horsepower coincides with where your driving style and needs will be.

A package that's optimized responds quicker, and is the reason why some guys have a build and it feels sluggish and dog like driving around. Others have the same build and the butt dyno makes you say man this thing is awesome.

You've got a chance to pick and choose at the beginning what your goal is and build around that.

Now, you can pick and plan anything right now. Budget matters. Depending what your long term plans are, different things make sense.

You talk about needing driveshaft, etc... let's get basic. You may even want to think what rear end you want to run so you aren't having driveshaft cut and balanced multiple times.

1) Any idea based on what you have for an engine that you expect to have for horsepower?

2) is this just a fun for now toy, or a long term build and keep car?

3) and any plans long term, as in this is my engine for now but I already plan to save for something bigger down the road? (Sometimes, if the budget allows, it's cheaper to spend $700 instead of $500 now, that way you aren't replacing that piece in the next step of the build.)

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor