3.8l

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Then LS it is. Anything stock looking, 2bbl and crappy factory exhaust mean no performance, don't bother if that is the criteria. So no 4bbl and intake off a factory 4.1 V6 RWD? I believe they were 81 to 85, CCC and EGR. Your factory ECM should run it no problem. I would start with a 2004R and upgrade the gears to 3.42 plus.

Even with LS swaps, only the expensive Erod crate engines from GM are legal to swap in for CA as they come with the proper paperwork. Used normal production LS engines from junkyards are not easily legal to swap in due to the complex OBD2 emissions that must be completely swapped over intact in CA. That includes the gas tank and dash, plus no computer tuning as that is considered tampering.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 3 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
He may be able to use the 85 only SEFI FWD fuel injection set up on his 3.8. A few more hp and torque. Add a 2004R and 3.42 or better gears. That will make it faster and better on fuel. Either that or cringe, a LS being California.

This is what I plan on doing for the time being. I think the quickest/least headache way to at least get a little better performance is a 200-4R swap and gearing. Anything else opens up a can of worms in CA in terms of referees, testing, approval, etc.

Reactions: 3 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Power cost money and it seems like the smaller the CI engine, the more coin it will cost to achieve that extra power gain. i'm a 3.8 fanatic, turbo charged or naturally aspirated, my love is the same. A truly simple way to gain perhaps 20 to 25 HP would be truly simple and cheaply obtainable by these two methods ill share here. First acquire a 4.1 V6 Buick aluminum intake, these take a four barrel carburetor. Second, install a duel exhaust system used on the 83/84 H/O's. These two things within itself will wake that thing up enough to notice a big difference, and should be obtainable for under $500 if you play your cards right. I know 20 to 25 HP doesn't sound incredible, but when your applying this to a 110 HP power plant, this is a net gain of 25% increase! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Power cost money and it seems like the smaller the CI engine, the more coin it will cost to achieve that extra power gain. i'm a 3.8 fanatic, turbo charged or naturally aspirated, my love is the same. A truly simple way to gain perhaps 20 to 25 HP would be truly simple and cheaply obtainable by these two methods ill share here. First acquire a 4.1 V6 Buick aluminum intake, these take a four barrel carburetor. Second, install a duel exhaust system used on the 83/84 H/O's. These two things within itself will wake that thing up enough to notice a big difference, and should be obtainable for under $500 if you play your cards right. I know 20 to 25 HP doesn't sound incredible, but when your applying this to a 110 HP power plant, this is a net gain of 25% increase! Good luck!
.....still 7.9:1 compression....

Cookiekid

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2020
I imagine G bodies are cheap in California. Who would want to own one, especially a 3.8L version.
Gbodys are kinda expensive too just that the cheap ones need some work but tbh the 3.8 sucks on hp its good for gas but even my fixie has more hp

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
19.0 now that's gettin it

IMG_4510_063.JPG

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor