3.8V6 to 350 SWAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

83reeeegal

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2017
What's going on guys, it's been a real long week with school and work but i'm finally on break which means it's time to swap my 3.8! I just recently removed a 350 off my brothers dune buggy haha, engine doesn't seem really beat but either way I can't complain. I mean it's a FREE ENGINE sorta, all thanks to my brother {early x-mas gift maybe?} haha . Any recommendations of any good machine shops in the San Diego area or in So-Cal? Tips and hints are also greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0919.JPG
    IMG_0919.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 278
Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Certainly don't need one but was just curious whether your block had the bosses for it. Better heads would probably be a better investment than a roller cam upgrade.

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
flap tappet unfortunately, those roller cams are highly suggested? I definitely need to get a great set. any recommendations?
I have a brand new in box Comp 268xfi cam and lifters that would wake that 350 up, especially if you put some better heads on it or had them worked over.

If interested, PM me and I will get you some pics and specs.

Reactions: 2 users

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
those roller cams are highly suggested? I definitely need to get a great set. any recommendations?

Don't waste your time or money on a roller cam if you're gonna keep using those horsepower-corking L05 heads. Seriously, the best recommendation we can give you is to toss those heads into the dumpster (at least you didn't pay anything for them, right?) and replace them with... well, almost anything would be an improvement. A stock pair of Vortec heads would be a fantastic budget upgrade.

Once you have those, they would be even better with a bit more cam than you have now. ;)

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 4 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Keep in mind, stock vortec heads should have the valve guide bosses machined down to allow for cams with greater than .450 lift. Flat tappets get a bad rap nowadays from many, nothing wrong with them if you run good oil. If the break-in goes well, usually you're in the clear if nothing was assembled incorrectly. Build the engine for the gas you can afford. Ain't no fun having a 12:1 monster that gets 10gpm with 100+ octane being nearly triple the price of pump gas. Anywho... grab a cam (if staying flat tappet) with gentle ramp rates. Aggressive ramp rates and overkill springs are what flatten cams. http://www.lunatipower.com/Tech/Cams/CamProfileTerms.aspx

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor