3 inch drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrmarcdude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 16, 2020
Howdy,

I'm looking to drop my 86 Cutlass into the weeds with some drop springs, but all I'm finding are 1.5 - 2.0 inch. Are there any alternatives that will give me a 3 inch drop? I'm running 15x10 (4.5 inch backspace) steel wheels so drop spindles are out of the question. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
To get that much you will have to do more than springs. Spindles and springs dropped me 4". 2" may be your limit with springs alone.

Craig Cunningham

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2018
Cutting the springs is always an option. (Not necessarily a good one.) From what I have found doing my research on this topic, dropping 3 inches by springs alone is not favourable. It will mess with your suspension geometry too much.
If you want that much drop, you're probably best to do the drop spindles (with the springs) and buy new wheels.
Dropping it that much with that wide a wheel may cause you other issues anyway.
I am in the process of dropping my 85 MCSS. Did the springs late last year, and doing the spindles this spring.
Good luck with your project!

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
You have a Cutlass? Dropping it that much, any issues with wheel rub, etc.? What are you running for front tire size?
Yes. 84. The wheels that are on it rub badly (18x9" w/ 245/40/18), I spent today with a tire fitment tool figuring out what will fit with minimal to no rubbing. The plan is to run an 18x8 in the front, with a 225/45/18, it will barely touch the frame rails at full lock, I will add a 1/4" spacer if needed. Going to run ET lug nuts (with or without spacer) for just a little added peace of mind.

Reactions: 1 user

Mrmarcdude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 16, 2020
Are there any spindle options available that won't interfere with the front wheels I'm running?

Craig Cunningham

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2018
Are there any spindle options available that won't interfere with the front wheels I'm running?
Do you know for sure that drop spindles are going to cause a problem? And if so, what is the issue? There may be ways to deal with it. That being said, a 10-in wheel up front is awfully wide for any vehicle not designed for it.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
An 86' Cutlass with a 3" drop with a 15 x 10 rim with 4.5" BS will have the rear wheelwell sitting on your tire and don't even consider that size for the front.
Also IMO any rubbing no matter how minimal is unacceptable and a safety issue.

Mrmarcdude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 16, 2020
There are going to be some pretty extensive body modifications taking place to clear the wheels and tires so I'm not worried about that. I'll also have to relocate the fuse bulkhead at that ride height to clear.

My main concern with the drop spindle is the tie rod clearance. The wheel on the stock setup is a tight squeeze as it is.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
An 86' Cutlass with a 3" drop with a 15 x 10 rim with 4.5" BS will have the rear wheelwell sitting on your tire and don't even consider that size for the front.
Also IMO any rubbing no matter how minimal is unacceptable and a safety issue.

The numbers don't stack up in OP's favour.

The front of my wagon has a 2.5" drop between the spindles and ball joints (more if you count any drop from the MOOG 5664s)... and even with adjustable upper arms and a lot of camber dialed in it is far from perfect with 275/40s on 17x9.5" rim. 255s would be better.

The rear can only go so low before the control arms are all jacked up. It is taking extensive work to keep the Monte's geometry correct. Not to mention the frame gets in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor