motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
sorry should have said on a G body..My 2004 E250 has a 3 inch single, Just installed a AP exhaust Magnaflow clone, and I've had several 3 inch single setups on various third gen camaros over the years, just never seemed to be a highly talked about setup over here.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
sorry should have said on a G body..My 2004 E250 has a 3 inch single, Just installed a AP exhaust Magnaflow clone, and I've had several 3 inch single setups on various third gen camaros over the years, just never seemed to be a highly talked about setup over here.

Are you asking from a fitment standpoint or an is this big enough?

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
Well technically you can make anything fit , with a welder and a big enough hammer. I just wondered what folks reasons where for not going that route. I mean, you save time and money not screwing with the trans (No offence to any Trans around. ) crossmember, no second set of pipes and flows pretty equal to a set of 2 1/2 duals, With the benefit of keeping the exhaust system hotter than duals for better flow and helping torque it seems like a solid solution to most budget street cars that double as dailys or whatnot.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Symmetry

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I would guess there isn’t much discussion about full length 3-4” exhaust is because it’s big enough that it hampers power in most typical builds. Even for 500hp dual 3” full length piping would hamper power. And if your motor makes enough power to require full length exhaust, then generally there isn’t concern about the noise reduction that full length exhaust aides because it’s very hard to hold the throttle in the 700-1000hp range for more than 15-20 seconds.

If you want a benefit of big exhaust, then it needs to be short - I.e. bull horns, hood exits, etc.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
There are lots of 3" and 3.5" single exhausts used on turbo Buicks where having "dual exhaust" pipes are restrictive (dependant on y-pipe and muffler design), redundant, heavy, costly, and complicated. This is very application dependent and subjective (ie. sound). A V8 through a single 3" isn't impressive due to blended exhaust pulses (the TBSS was this way), but a single turbo engine isn't going to benefit from dual pipes in the same way a supercharged engine will with "true duals".

However, if you are mashing everything together off the manifolds there really is little reason to re-split the exhaust downstream just to flex twin pipes.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Symmetry and sound for me. Especially on a non turbo engine. RJC makes a single 3 inch and I believe 4 inch for GN's, and can be adapted pretty easily to any other gbody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor