3 speed Lightning Rod Shifter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevytruc1658

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2011
North Bend, Washington
Hello, this is probably a very dumb question but I was wondering if a 3 speed L-rod shifter can be used with a 4speed transmission and if so, what are the negatives with doing that? Thanks.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Unfortunately, no. You won't get the shift points to match up and even if you did, you'd run out of shifter travel just to get it into drive.

The detent plate is welded on the first rod. Not easily changeable. Anything can be done if you throw enough money and engineering at it. But will it be worth it?

To me it wouldn't be worth the time or trouble. If you got a 4-speed transmission, you want a 4-speed LR set up.

Reactions: 1 user

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I saw a guy on hoonigan’s YouTube page that had the drive train out of a trailblazer ss in his 442. Somehow he got the lightning rods to work with his trans.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
He probably used a 4 speed LR shifter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor