305 dies when in gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

77 Landau Coupe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 10, 2018
I need help. I'm working on a late 80's 305 with a late 70's Q-jet.
I've gotten the engine to where it will idle alright, and when it's in park or neutral it revs fine, however when I put it into drive or reverse and hit the throttle it dies almost immediately.
I've already rebuilt the carburetor.
Has anyone faced similar issues? How did you resolve them

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Float level correct? Sounds like a bad accel pump as well. Does it clunk going into gear? What rpm is it idling at? Timing?

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Check for vacuum leaks. What is the timing set at?

Also could possibly be that this engine has nylon timing gears and it has moved a tooth or two. Most of those I've run into were 70s era but it's still capable of making life difficult. If you feather the throttle in will it gain rpm or it just dies immediately? Compression check/leak down test. I know the carb seems like the most likely problem but you could be chasing ghosts of the real problem.

Last edited:

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Start car and warm up. Remove air cleaner housing. While idling in park listen for an air leak. Put hand over throat of carb and see if engine revs up. If it does you either have a vacuum leak, like maybe the wrong carb base gasket. While idling in park look down the primary throat of carb. If it is dripping the idle pick ups in the carb may still be plugged.
Turn idle mixture screws in and then out 4 turns.
Is the EGR valve open? It should not be.
Start there and let us know

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Is the hose to the PCV blocked? Make sure it is and by feathering it sounds like it is lean.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Did you set the idle speed in drive with the brakes on? You are not supposed to set idle speed in park. Really should set the idle mixture in drive too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor