305 hesitation/miss-fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

mystre71

Apprentice
Apr 7, 2018
HI, I purchased a 79 malibu all original right down to the 305 with all the emission in place. I'm having an issue when taking off or going up hill, it looses power and there is a slight miss. Removed the cat, New battery and alternator (good voltage) I've changed the plugs (set the gap) , wires, cap, button, swapped out the coil, module, installed a new ERG, checked the timing, Checked for vacuum leaks, pulled the valve covers checked the springs and rockers. Timing was dead on, fires up at the turn of the key, runs fine while normal driving. What am I missing ? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
Not sure if this will help but check if fuel is getting thru ok. Might be a fuel pump issue or line blockage.

Reactions: 1 user

mystre71

Apprentice
Apr 7, 2018
Thanks! I forgot to say I installed a new fuel filter check to make sure I was getting fuel. I probably should check the fuel pressure though....Also new air filter. This thing is being a pain! Have a buddy that's loaning me another carb to try, I don't really think that is the issue but need to try something.

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
so currently it has a Qjet ? filter in the right direction ? with the spring ?
just asking

mystre71

Apprentice
Apr 7, 2018
Yes sir. I replaced that filter as well. I'm now grabbing at straws, Have a buddy that's bringing me two carbs tomorrow to try, just to see if there is any difference. The thing fires right up, couldn't ask for a better running motor just taking off and up hill.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Sounds like either a sticking needle valve or sticky accel pump.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
check float level. my car would do weird things like you mentioned, plus dribbling and cutting out momentarily around corners, sudden accel and decel, uphill as well.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I agree with Clone, it sounds like a weak accelerator pump. Put a few drops of oil down the rod of the accelerator pump and see if that helps. If it does you found the problem.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Try the free stuff first, as previously mentioned. Then if that doesn't do anything, do the carb swap to see if there's any change, good or bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor