305 LG4 overcooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibu79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
I recently changed my thremostat to a 160F thermostat in my stock 79 305 LG4. My gauge now creep barely over 100F ? Is that normal? A 160F should go over 160 and went back to 160F or not? Any other experiences out there? I don‘t have any sludge in my valve cover or anything like that...the search didn‘t give me any answer🤷🏻‍♂️ Sorry for that overstressed topic🙄

Last edited:

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
Get a quality aftermarket gauge your stock sending unit is in the cylinder head should read like 180 with the 160 stat mine is doing the same at 100 but my mechanical gauge reads 165 in the intake manifold

Reactions: 1 user

Gwarren79

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2018
Safford, AZ
Did it get stuck open? I had that problem with a MotoRad. It has these brass tabs (for assembly?) that will grab the plate and hold it open.

Motorrad Failsafe

1571601192272.png

malibu79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Just checked it with a laser thermometer... water temp is 180-185F. So the stock gauge/wire/sender is inaccurate or faulty:rolleyes: Was my water temp 210-220F before!? Hard to say with the faulty stuff:unsure:Now my feeling with the 160F thermostat is better...we`ll see..But my strong oil fume and blow by is gone!

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor