305 ram air snorkel

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Anyone ever seen a ram-air 305 air cleaner like this before? Is it home made?
air cleaner snorkel.jpg

Its in a Malibu I saw on Craigslist.
https://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/1978-chevy-malibu-classic/6478051316.html

Ive seen similar setups (stock from the factory, though) on H.O. Montes and Camaros, but nothing that looks as good as whats on that Malibu.
0706ch_02_z+horsepower_bolt_ons+.jpg

stock-monte-carlo-305-ho-v8-great-color-combo-super-clean-drives-fantastic-3.jpg

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
That's factory. Just most people throw the plastic piece out...

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Bottom 2 factory. The top pic as I recall the front plastic piece is not but the rest is. Here's
IMG_0662.JPG
what I did

Reactions: 2 users

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
I talked to the owner, its factory. Thanks guys!

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I have to agree after looking at again and thinking about it. The 7mm screws are correct and it does look familiar

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
First picture, not sure if that is a stock air intake or jerry rigged, although the aircleaner is a stock low performance LG4 one.

Second picture is the dual snorkel HO L69 aircleaner only found in some F bodies. Its popular for G bodies and was once sold by GMPP. Now its long discontinued and becoming rare, as are most bolt in performance parts for G bodies anymore. It is the highest flowing of the stock THERMAC aircleaners. You can build your own by getting a donor aircleaner to take a snorkel off of.

Third picture is the stock MCSS single snorkel HO L69 aircleaner. You can see both types of HO cleaners use wide mouth oval snorkels that flow more air. Caprices use this too. Both HO aircleaners with the intake tube are factory ramair. Again, the tubes are discontinued and good old ones are becoming rare as they rot from age.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
That first pic is a factory set up. Early cars had them on the SBC. Seen a few Malibus & Elkys with them.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Yep, my '79 305 Malibu had the first setup on it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor