305 rockers

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
I found a thread on this from 2011 pretty much asking the same thing but I just want to make sure.
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/can-you-bolt-on-1-6-rockers-on-a-stock-305.32736/

Looking for something fun to do after finals in a few weeks. So if I just did plain old 1.6 stamped steel Summit rockers, do I have to change pushrods and lifters too? Or can I just do the rockers and be fine?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...ikNv8H4J81VrcCqYXwmR6OZat6tR5QgoaArLREALw_wcB

Do I need new valve springs? Is it as simple as taking the old ones off and putting the new ones on?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Summit said you'll need guide plates in the Q&A section. which means you'll need to change out the press in stock rocker studs for screw in ones. I'd stick to 1.5 rockers.

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I saw the same note that pagrunt referenced. Since they don't appear to be self aligning, guide plates would make sense in some applications. I suspect (but don't know) that you'd be fine. If the hole in your heads are just wide enough for the pushrod side to side, I'd give them a try. If the pushrod holes allow any lateral movement, you would need guide plates or self aligning rockers. Your lifters and pushrods should be fine.
Also read the last post in the thread you linked. He's talking about coil bind and retainer interference. Neither of which you should be too concerned with if you have a stock or mild cam. SBCs are pretty forgiving.

Reactions: 1 users

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Does anyone have a good video to share on how to swap rockers? Pagrunt what do you mean I'll need screw in studs? Are the stock studs just pressed in? So if I went with guide plates, would I need to tap the old holes to get new screw in studs to hold the rockers?

And DRIVEN, I saw a response on Summit from one guy who said the same thing as you - that if the cam is small then it would be fine without guide plates on the street.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The studs in your heads are pressed in & can not use the guildes. If the guildes are needed, the studs will have to be pulled, the holes tapped for the screw in studs which will hold the guides in place. With the exception of a few factory high performance heads, all SBC's have pressed studs.

• Agree
  • Informative

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
The studs in your heads are pressed in & can not use the guildes. If the guildes are needed, the studs will have to be pulled, the holes tapped for the screw in studs which will hold the guides in place. With the exception of a few factory high performance heads, all SBC's have pressed studs.
If I tapped the heads, where would the metal shavings go? Are there any cavities below where I would be tapping? Would I have to worry about going too deep and ruining the heads?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Installing screw-in studs just to run guide plates just to run 1.6 rockers on a 305 is waaay more trouble than it's worth.
A simple rocker swap isn't even going to give you any real noticeable gain. It's a relatively cheap and easy endeavor and it's good experience, just don't expect to notice any difference. But please don't go as far as screw-in studs. Absolutley no return on your investment.

• Agree

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I have never done/tried to tap the stud holes. It would be best to send them out foa good machine shop to do the work. Don't over read this that you have to do it. Check out other rocker options, don't use the self aligning type or ones thar need poly locks. This way you won't have to replace the studs & keep your budget in check.

• Agree

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
I can just swap the rockers and be fine, reusing the stock studs? Sorry haha, I just don’t know too much about it and I don’t want to mess it up

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Probably. Just remember, free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor