305 to 350 swap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mclenty0

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2016
Hey i want to swap my 350 into my 83 cutlass supreme. Right now my car has a 305 in it. Just wondering what all i need. I dont know which transmission is in my car. From my understanding i would possibly need a different transmission and engine mounts. All the wiring and everything should match up?

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
The Cutlass didn't come with a SBC 305, so whatever trans is in there will certainly bolt to an SBC 350. As far as swapping the engines, it should be a direct swap.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Hey i want to swap my 350 into my 83 cutlass supreme. Right now my car has a 305 in it. Just wondering what all i need. I dont know which transmission is in my car. From my understanding i would possibly need a different transmission and engine mounts. All the wiring and everything should match up?
Does your car have a Chevrolet 305 in it or an Oldsmobile 307 in it?

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
The Cutlass didn't come with a SBC 305, so whatever trans is in there will certainly bolt to an SBC 350. As far as swapping the engines, it should be a direct swap.
Yes they did. My Cutlass came with a 305 Chevy in it from the factory

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Never seen a G-body Cutlass w/a factory installed SBC 305. Both of my '83 Cutlass Supremes came w/the Buick 3.8L V6. Had another Cutlass that came w/the Olds 307.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
which side is the battery on?... if it's on the drivers side it's a 307, if it's on the passenger side it's a 305

Mclenty0

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2016
Battery is on passenger side. So i shouldnt need to buy anything to do the swap if it already has a chevy motor in it?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Battery is on passenger side. So i shouldnt need to buy anything to do the swap if it already has a chevy motor in it?

It should drop right in. When I do an engine swap I leave the transmission bolted to the engine and remove it with the engine. I find it easier to remove the transmission and bolt it to the new engine while standing up. If you remove the bolt for the hood hinge from the inner fender you can can lay the hood back and you won't have to remove the hood. It's not a bad idea to change the front seal on the transmission since you'll have access to it.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC

easiest way to tell is distributor rotation... take the cap off and have someone turn the key. clockwise rotation = chevy, ccw= olds.

Mclenty0

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2016
Okay thats good news, which transmission would be in my car with the stock 305. My 350 is built up so i would probably need to upgrade the transmission in the future. Which transmission would be my best choice to go with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor