305 With Double Hump Heads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
Did they ever make a 305 with double hump heads? I ask this because my 305 has them. As far as I know they havent been changed by anybody. I saw this when I put my cam, lifters, and timing chain on. Still had the old chain with the plastic teeth which gives me more reason to believe the heads where never changed since those are performance heads. Car is a 78 buick regal.

StreetDogg316

Apprentice
Jan 14, 2009
Prince George, VA
Hmmm.... I have a 78 Regal with a 305 in it.. I wonder if mine has them. How would I tell if I have them or not?

StreetDogg316

Apprentice
Jan 14, 2009
Prince George, VA
Ok, Thanks. I'll have to go and check when I have the time and when it warms up a little. Oh, And I just looked at your pics, What is the gauge that is on the right side of the speedo? It looks like a clock or something, I ask because my Regal just has a blank piece of metal there with some black lines going in a circle..

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
kingcolbert83 said:
Did they ever make a 305 with double hump heads? I ask this because my 305 has them. As far as I know they havent been changed by anybody. I saw this when I put my cam, lifters, and timing chain on. Still had the old chain with the plastic teeth which gives me more reason to believe the heads where never changed since those are performance heads. Car is a 78 buick regal.

As far as I know double hump heads came on the 302, 327, and 350 (including LT1's). Also on the 283 fuel injected vette - I could be wrong here.

BrownGP83

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2008
Chamberlain,South Dakota
No. No 305 came with double hump heads from the factory. Dbl humps were produced in the 60s. Not sure when they ended, but it was long before 305 were produced. All dbl hump heads that i have seen lack accesory holes that all later heads have.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
BrownGP83 said:
No. No 305 came with double hump heads from the factory. Dbl humps were produced in the 60s. Not sure when they ended, but it was long before 305 were produced. All dbl hump heads that i have seen lack accesory holes that all later heads have.

Double humps came with the LT1 engine made in the 90s for higher compression, they're the only ones still available from GM. The originals ended casting in 1970 I believe.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I know what 305 heads ur talking about. My old factory 305 monza had the same ones on it. They have double humps on them, but they are different. They are pointed humps, not the rounded ones like the good heads have.

The heads in question are just basic stock 305 heads.

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
Phoenyx said:
I know what 305 heads ur talking about. My old factory 305 monza had the same ones on it. They have double humps on them, but they are different. They are pointed humps, not the rounded ones like the good heads have.

The heads in question are just basic stock 305 heads.

I'm going to have to check and see if they are pointed or rounded. It was three of use working on the car at the time one of them pointed it out. I think it had the humps on the outside and the where the valve covers go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor