305 won’t turn off

Status
Not open for further replies.

smf

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2011
I have a Grand Prix with the 305 that sat for quite awhile. It starts right up but it’s sputtering before shutting down. It also seems to be idling high when running. I tried running quality gas and tec Ron through it with no results. Any idea how to fix this? It only has 30k on it

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
A high idle means the carb is adjusted wrong or there is a vacuum leak. That leaves the throttle open too much or it is getting excess fresh air and allows the engine to "run-on" after the ignition is shut off. Check for vacuum leaks. While running adjust the idle down to where it should be, around 650-850 rpm. My guess is it won't idle well down that low and someone adjusted it up to where it is out of the idle circuit. It probably could use a good carb rebuild.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Could just need the choke linkage hosed down. Fast idle cam might be grimey.

Reactions: 1 users

McGillicutty

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2018
Oshawa, Ontario
I had similar issues a year ago after it sat for six months. The throttle link was sticking open, maybe some other things too. I cleaned up everything that moves on the outside of the carb and it has been running smoothly ever since.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor