307 in my car now, motor swap? keep motor?, what motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

307Regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 7, 2006
Blairsville PA
Well I got a chevy 307 out of a 72 nova in my regal right now. I hear from some people that these motors can put out great horsepower, others tell me they are just sub par. The 307 motor has a cam, and a holly 650 on it. I am going to wyotech, and in about 9 months or so will be taking a performance engine class where I can do anything from some head work, to a whole motor rebuild. So I was wondering wether I should keep the 307, and do some wor to that. Or should I get another blown motor, or a block to do a total rebuild on, and if so what motor should I go with. I know I want to keep a small block in there. I was thinking a 383, or a 400. I don't know much about any of the GM motors, so I'm look to see what I got for my options.

1fast87olds

Greasemonkey
Feb 18, 2006
St. Albans Wv
Build a nice healthy 383 u would love the power an throttle response but thats just my 2 cents

steve 86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 23, 2006
hamden ct.
hell yeah, what he said.............or go big block,but that makes for a pretty cramped engine compartment, especially with a/c.

84hurstolds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 1, 2006
Winter Park,FL
Take it from me i swapped the 307 out for a chevy 350 , worked nicely and get pretty good power out of it , but i have another that im doin the same type of thing , took 307 out and putting an 871 blown 383 very nice if you dont mind all the grind work u have to do to the inside of the block to have the lower end clear. if you want an easy build that you will get a lot of power out of i recommend a 400 block , make it a 406 and have fun with it.

Mr 4 Speed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
A 400 SBC or a 383 will do the trick.Cam it between 230-235ish @ .050 112-114 LSA if you want street friendly that will perform at the track.Add a set of aftermarket aluminum heads (like Canfields/Jegs) ,an RPM intake, 3500 flash stall and go for 3.42 gear for the 400 and a 3.73 for the 383
...maybe a 100 HP shot too :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor